Honored Contributor

Re: The last Days of John F. Kennedy Jr.

[ Edited ]

@threecees wrote:

All old clips of everything I've seen before.

They should have aired this on the next anniversary of John, Caroline's

and her sisters death.

Twenty commercials about The Bobbits tomorrow's on 20/20.

Yep... I was switching back and forth for a while but opted out, thinking it was all really rather tedious... And yea, saw all the promos for the Bobbit thing... ABC must be hurting to be airing all this old news and promoting it in a rather sensationalistic fashion... Now I see they're also doing a Monica Lewinsky redux on top of the other two... Wow, rebooting all the 80's sitcoms wasn't enough... Now they're rebooting 80's news as well...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@lulu1 I agree, it is terribly sad. All of it. I never forget that both Bessette daughters died, but yes his name causes that to be overlooked and that's tragic too

It really is. That family lost two daughters. Even more sad is it could all have been avoided. He should never have tried to fly the plane and those two poor girls should never have gotten on it with him... By most accounts, he was a good guy, but you have to wonder if there wasn't a streak of arrogance in there somewhere... Otherwise, he might have known better... As for his wife, I have to say, probably a lovely woman, but  I don't agree with all the assessments of her beauty... She was attractive in her way, but, to me, not a beauty by any means... I also don't agree with any assessments of them being some sort of modern day American prince and princess...

Valued Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

He was so gorgeous ❤

@Greeneyedlady21     

....although quite short.

6’1” is short??

Honored Contributor

There was one statement that really shocked me in the program. I forgot who said it but they said that John used to play chicken with the Staten Island ferry in his kayak. 

I wish I had not heard that.

Honored Contributor

We can't place the blame entirely on John. They had to wait for Carolyn who was late, John had to wait for Lauren to get off work before he could pick her up. Both sisters chose to go knowing the situation, had they insisted on waiting until the following morning, he would have waited.

Honored Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

I find it terribly sad to watch a "what was" show about someone who showed such potential.

The plane crash was another tragedy for the Kennedys but we sometimes forget the Bessette family lost 2 vibrant daughters.

@lulu1 . I watched last night and afterwards was thinking about the Bessette family.  I Googled and found out that they sued the Kennedy family.  They believed that JFK jr was reckless flying that night.  Overall a very sad story.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

He was so gorgeous ❤

@Greeneyedlady21     

....although quite short.

@Pearlee   I looked it up & he was 6'1"

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

We can't place the blame entirely on John. They had to wait for Carolyn who was late, John had to wait for Lauren to get off work before he could pick her up. Both sisters chose to go knowing the situation, had they insisted on waiting until the following morning, he would have waited.

On this, we'll have to agree to disagree. He should have known his limits. By all accounts, he was not a skilled pilot. He was not experienced and, as was reported, had not mastered the capacity to rely on instrumentation. The two women should not have needed to insist on waiting. He should have pulled the plug on their flight... They likely trusted that he knew what he was doing... An incredibly sad story...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've always wondered why the choice for a burial at sea. It's never made any sense to me whatsoever. In as much as the bodies were recovered, one would think that both families would have wanted some sort of gravesite. 

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@lulu1 I agree, it is terribly sad. All of it. I never forget that both Bessette daughters died, but yes his name causes that to be overlooked and that's tragic too

It really is. That family lost two daughters. Even more sad is it could all have been avoided. He should never have tried to fly the plane and those two poor girls should never have gotten on it with him... By most accounts, he was a good guy, but you have to wonder if there wasn't a streak of arrogance in there somewhere... Otherwise, he might have known better... As for his wife, I have to say, probably a lovely woman, but  I don't agree with all the assessments of her beauty... She was attractive in her way, but, to me, not a beauty by any means... I also don't agree with any assessments of them being some sort of modern day American prince and princess...

@stevieb

I don't think it was necessarily arrogance .... maybe just over-confidence.  I'd bet that all previous flight instruction he'd had was probably on good weather days and the training went smoothly.  Plus, he knew the coastline pretty well, so he might have thought he'd know where he was.    

Perhaps he'd had zero training in bad weather?

I doubt it was a case of "he should have known better".  That's 20/20 hindsight.   Weather can change quickly, but we don't know what up to the minute information he had before they got into that plane.  If he honestly thought it was very dangerous, they could have gone the following morning.