Honored Contributor

The Zen Diaries Of Garry Shandling

This two part documentary premieres Monday (Tuesday) at 8:00 on HBO. It is directed by Judd Apatow who considered Garry a friend and mentor to him. There are 40 plus interviews including Jay Leno and Jerry Seinfeld. I always liked Garry, he was funny without being dirty. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: The Zen Diaries Of Garry Shandling

@Jordan2wrote:

This two part documentary premieres Monday (Tuesday) at 8:00 on HBO. It is directed by Judd Apatow who considered Garry a friend and mentor to him. There are 40 plus interviews including Jay Leno and Jerry Seinfeld. I always liked Garry, he was funny without being dirty. 

I agree-I watched his first tv show (on during the daytime) when I was home with little kids-such a golden time in my life! We all liked Garry!

Valued Contributor

@Jordan2

Loved Garry Shandling.  I used to hurry home to watch "The Larry Sanders Show" when I worked later hours.  Great show.  He played a somewhat neurotic talk show host.  Loved the characters on that show.  Rip Torn was hysterical as Artie.   

He would have his comedian friends over and they would play basketball and have get togethers.

That is what surprised me--I thought he was somewhat fit.  I felt bad when I heard he had died.

Honored Contributor

Just a reminder to anyone interested in this doc, it starts tonight and concludes tomorrow night.

Honored Contributor

I only got a chance to watch the first hour and thought it was good. Garry was such a funny guy. I didn't know his older brother died of Cystic Fibrosis at 13 years old in 1960 when Garry was 10. Garry wasn't even told that his brother died, he didn't go to the funeral, it seems like the family never discussed his brother's death as it was much too painful.

Honored Contributor

I watched the first part and am half way through the second part. It seems to me that most comedians have sad, tragic lives, they are tortured souls. Garry didn't seem to be a happy soul.

Honored Contributor

I watched both parts of this two part doc, I thought it was very well done. At the end of the second part a letter Garry penned to his deceased brother Barry was read. The letter had me in tears, it was just heartbreaking. Having lost a brother myself, I could relate. I can't imagine how hard growing up must have been for him losing his brother when he was only 10 years old. It must be a lot of pressure, your parents pinning all their hopes and dreams on their only surviving child.