Honored Contributor

Re: The Windsors Begins Tonight CNN

@Mz iMac wrote:

@SharkE 

If you want to see a really great mini series, check out "Edward & Mrs. Simpson."  It was on Masterpiece Theater around 1979-80.   Edward Fox plays Edward.

Snippits of the series is on YouTube.  It is also on DVD.  I had it on a VCR tape & converted to a DVD.  I plan on watching again tomorrow.

already seen it ! yep, it was good !  Can you imagine if that happened today!

@Mz iMac 

Honored Contributor

I didn't realize back at the turn of the 20th century so many of those European leaders were related, e.g. Czar Alexander of Russia was King George's cousin.
Honored Contributor

All I could think of whenever they mentioned Bertie was Colin Firth stuttering in The King's Speech!
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac     EEK ! that scary eye !   I can't stand to look at it. ROFL

Honored Contributor

Reminds me of Kevin Costner movie 'Mr. Brooks'. 

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
I didn't realize back at the turn of the 20th century so many of those European leaders were related, e.g. Czar Alexander of Russia was King George's cousin.

@Pearlee  I think all of Victoria and Alberts 8 or 9 children 
married into European royalty. 

Honored Contributor

Many if not most of the European royal families are related, connected and inter-related... At one time, the goal was to make good marriages, primarily to ensure good alliances among the royalty that were financially and politially expeditious... Counsins married cousins and so on... At one time there was a fair amount of discussion about concerns of inbreeding among royals...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Pearlee  I think all of Victoria and Alberts 8 or 9 children 
married into European royalty. 

Hence, the  reluctance of the King to go to war with Germany. Wilhelm was his cousin. He also didn't save the Romanovs due to public opinion and therefore let his cousins be murdered.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb  "At one time there was a fair amount of discussion about concerns of inbreeding among royals..."

"Counsins married cousins"

Queen Elizabeth & hubby Prince Phillip are cousins....

Having had the same great-great-grandmother (Queen Victoria), Elizabeth (the progeny of Victoria’s son, King Edward VII) and Philip (the progeny of Victoria’s daughter, Princess Alice) are third cousins.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman Yes that was in the show last night. Including photos of the King standing next to Czar Alexander -- they looked almost like identical twins.