Honored Contributor

I have recently rediscovered the Waltons.  The kids are all grown.  What I did not realize is that they replaced John Boy with another actor.  Only saw him once so far but I was shocked.  Where was I when this happened.  I use to watch the Waltons all the time.  Guess I missed a season lol

Respected Contributor

The original JB was replaced in the episode where  he was writing for Stars and Stripes and went on a bombing mission. His plane was shot down and he eventually ended up in the VA hospital. I guess the replacement probably continued until the show ended for good. Later TV movies had the original JB (Richard Thomas) back in that role.

Honored Contributor

The Waltons reruns are shown daily on 2 channels on Dish and I record many of them.

I couldn't stand that guy who replaced Richard Thomas. He was boring and had NO personality. That's my opinion!

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

The Waltons reruns are shown daily on 2 channels on Dish and I record many of them.

I couldn't stand that guy who replaced Richard Thomas. He was boring and had NO personality. That's my opinion!

He is no Richard Thomas thats for sure

Respected Contributor

I love the early seasons of the Waltons.  I did not watch the last few, as I did not like what the series had become.  They should have ended it, but they let it "jump the shark".

No Olivia, a new John Boy, etc.   

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@4kitties I agree. I also found  the "romance" between Toni and Jason to be completely unbelievable, kind of like Jo and Prof. Baer in Little Women (I never "got" that one). 

And in later episodes the acting of Judy Norton just seemed forced and fake, like she was just doing what she had to to get through the episdoe. And REALLY didn't like the character of Rose.

Her reactions were always too over the top for me.

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@4kitties I agree. I also found  the "romance" between Toni and Jason to be completely unbelievable, kind of like Jo and Prof. Baer in Little Women (I never "got" that one). 

And in later episodes the acting of Judy Norton just seemed forced and fake, like she was just doing what she had to to get through the episdoe. And REALLY didn't like the character of Rose.

Her reactions were always too over the top for me.

Some trivia:

Six months before their characters met on TV, Jon Walmsley (Jason) married Lisa Harrison (Antionette) in the summer of 1979. According to a People Magazine story from the time, they had an outdoor ceremony in Malibu, California.

The whole cast of The Waltons was in attendance. Ralph Waite, who played Walton family patriarch, John, officiated his TV son’s ceremony. Not to be outdone, Michael Learned (mother of the Walton clan, Olivia) hosted the reception at her own home!

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

I also am a die hard Waltons fan.  One of my favorite shows of all time.  I also cannot recall when Richard Thomas was replaced and did not like the show after the grandfather died (Will Geer who actually passed away), Olivia became sick and was not on the show and John Boy (Richard Thomas) disappeared.  I still watch the Waltons, as they show it every day on MeTV, but do not watch the episodes towards the end.  Love the early episodes.  Oh, and those Baldwin sisters were just priceless.

Honored Contributor

Most tv series are best in their first several seasons, and I feel like that about the Waltons as well.

It was always a quality show, and I've seen every episode of every season many many times, but really only enjoy the first five seasons the most.

Super Contributor

After five seasons ....Richard Thomas left the Waltons to pursue other interests he did however..return to the role in three Walton TV movies.  The  first one was a Walton Thanksgiving reunion 1993...