Honored Contributor

I loved that show and the adults were amazing actors.I think my favorite was John Sr.  Ralph Waite played pa perfectly .

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I try not to read behind the scenes stuff about shows because it just ruins the show for me.

I figure if I can't tell the leads can't stand each other, then that is some fine acting.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

The Waltons was a great show. Because of my age, I identified most with Mary Ellen, and was so sad when her husband was supposedly killed in the war. I have always enjoyed shows with ensemble casts, where each character has a chance to shine every now and then.

We watch the pilot for the show, The Homecoming, each Christmas. Patricia Neal and Andrew Duggan were both incredible actors, but just too old for the roles as the parents.

I miss shows like the Waltons, showing people overcoming adversity but not sappy like the Hallmark shows where every actor and actress looks pretty much the same and the plots are almost interchangeable. At the end it did get a little far fetched, but I think they did they best they could.

Respected Contributor

I Love, Love, Love the Waltons!  Never missed a show growing up.  I loved all the characters.  Richard Thomas was the only John Boy for me.  The Baldwin sisters, Ike Godsey and Gorabeth, the mother and father, grandfather, grandmother and all the kids what a fantastic show.  I am now watching it on MeTV and just saw the episode where John surprises Olivia for their 25th wedding annivsary.  I cried like a baby it was so beautiful and heartfelt.  One of the best shows ever and I am so glad they are showing the Waltons again.  You can also see all the epoisodes on Amazon Prime.  I agree with lovemygrands - I did not care for Jim Bob either, too monotone.  He was ok, but not my favorite.

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I loved that show and the adults were amazing actors.I think my favorite was John Sr.  Ralph Waite played pa perfectly .

indoor kitty:  I had a mad crush on Ralph Waite.  He was so incredible in this role.  

Esteemed Contributor

I watched an episode the other day.  It was the one where Mary Ellen marries Curt.  I never liked what they did with his character.  They painted him to be an honorable guy--husband and father--then we're to believe he deserted his family?  Guess war can affect people in different ways, but that was a stretch for me.

Some of my favorite characters were Ike and Cora Beth.  She had multiple personalities as the series unfolded, but I still found her interesting.

I can remember waiting for Jim Bob to say or do something noteworthy, but other than having a passion for flying, he didn't do much but stand or sit in the background.  

Ben came across as a whiner for a bit.  Marrying Cindy helped him mature.

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan Agree. That awful story line about Curt not being killed at Pearl Harbor was totally stupid. And the issue of Mary Ellen divorcing him when she found him living under a fake identity, that was really dumb. Then she met Jonesy (an actor I really like) and eventually marry! The question of her marital status was never addressed which was so dumb.

I liked Ben because he seemed to be very independent and tried a lot of new things, even when they didn't work out.

I too liked Ike and Corabeth. She could be such a hoot. I remember when Jim Bob was mean to her and at some point she explained to him why she did some things she did: used French phrases, enjoyed some of the finer things, etc. I found that very touching.

Super Contributor

Re: The Waltons

[ Edited ]

I recently set a " season pass" on my TiVo for this show, I don't remember it too well from way back. I find this kind of show is exactly what I need now, can't handle too much reality these days, I limit the news, don't want to watch crime shows, mystery's etc, just nice easy, happy ending shows. I'm on season 4 now,. The Jim Bob character is ok, I don't remember  them writing much for him, but then again I don't remember the episode too well. My favorite character is Grandpa. Love him! 

Valued Contributor

Re: The Waltons

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@wildcat fan Agree. That awful story line about Curt not being killed at Pearl Harbor was totally stupid. And the issue of Mary Ellen divorcing him when she found him living under a fake identity, that was really dumb. Then she met Jonesy (an actor I really like) and eventually marry! The question of her marital status was never addressed which was so dumb.

I liked Ben because he seemed to be very independent and tried a lot of new things, even when they didn't work out.

I too liked Ike and Corabeth. She could be such a hoot. I remember when Jim Bob was mean to her and at some point she explained to him why she did some things she did: used French phrases, enjoyed some of the finer things, etc. I found that very touching.

---

I really disliked the Curt/Pearl Harbor storyline, and the temporary replacement for his character was awful. I liked the original actor (Tom Bower) very much.

I also strongly disagreed with the decision to re-cast JohnBoy; the replacement was, at best, unconvincing.

Ben was my favorite among the kids. He was enterprising, hard-working, and best suited to take over the family lumber business. 

I think the best actor on the program was the woman who played Corabeth. She was so convincing as a woman who at first felt she had settled for something less in life than she had anticipated and "deserved," yet settled in and made a good life for herself and her family. She played that often-pretentious, slightly snobbish, yet basically good character to perfection.

Honored Contributor

i really enjoy watching THE WALTONS. i watch it almost every day or night on the hallmark drama channel. i even enjoy the walton movies that they did after the regular series ended......although there were some inconsistencies in the follow up movies.

i  enjoyed all of the kids on the show.....they each had their own unique personalities within that loving family. speaking of jim bob....one of my favorite episodes of his was when he discovered that he was actually a twin and his brother died at birth.

loved THE HOMECOMING. i dont think patricia neal was too old to play the roll of olivia. she was around 45 at the time. loved when she did a role in a two part episode of LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE.

the recasts of john boy and curt were not great, i agree with that.

i was supposed to see richard thomas in to kill a mockingbird during the upcoming broadway season......hoping that there will still be a chance to see it, even though they are right how shooting for a january reopening.

right this moment i am watching the two part episode when olivia gets polio.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein