Respected Contributor

The Walking Dead to End After Season 11 and New Daryl / Carol Spinoff Series

‘Walking Dead’ to End With Expanded Season 11, Daryl-Carol Spinoff Series Set at AMC

“The Walking Dead” will end after the upcoming Season 11 on AMC, with the network also ordering a spinoff series built around the characters Daryl Dixon and Carol Peletier, Variety has learned.

Season 11 of AMC’s flagship show, which was originally meant to air this year but was delayed due to the pandemic, will air over two years and consist of 24 episodes in total beginning in late 2021. It was previously announced six additional episodes that will be considered part of Season 10 will be shot and aired in early 2021, meaning 30 additional episodes of “The Walking Dead” remain to be filmed and aired through late 2022. The episode originally intended to be the Season 10 finale is set to air on Oct. 4 after being delayed in April, also due to the pandemic.

The untitled Daryl-Carol spinoff will see “The Walking Dead” stars and fan favorites Norman Reedus and Melissa McBride continue on in those roles. The pair have long been praised for their characters’ onscreen chemistry, with Reedus and McBride currently being the only two cast members of the flagship show who have been onboard since Season 1.

Plot details are being kept under wraps, but the show is co-created by “The Walking Dead” showrunner Angela Kang and Scott Gimple, former series showrunner and the chief content officer of “The Walking Dead” universe. Kang will also serve as showrunner on the spinoff. The series is slated to debut in 2023.

“I look forward to digging in with our brilliant writers, producers, directors, cast and crew to bring this epic final chapter of Robert Kirkman’s story to life for our fans over the next two years,” said Kang. “‘The Walking Dead’ flagship series has been my creative home for a decade and so it’s bittersweet to bring it to an end, but I could not be more excited to be working with Scott Gimple and AMC to develop a new series for Daryl and Carol. Working with Norman Reedus and Melissa McBride has been a highlight of my career and I’m thrilled that we get to keep telling stories together.”

In addition, Gimple is also developing an episodic anthology series currently titled “Tales of the Walking Dead.” The show will feature one-off episodes built around new and existing characters within the “The Walking Dead” universe.

In addition to “The Walking Dead,” AMC also has the companion series “Fear the Walking Dead,” which is set to begin airing its sixth season on Oct. 11. “The Walking Dead: World Beyond,” about the first generation to come of age during the zombie apocalypse, will have its series premiere immediately after “The Walking Dead” on Oct. 4. AMC also continues to air the aftershow “Talking Dead” hosted by Chris Hardwick. AMC and Universal Pictures are currently working on a series of feature films centered on Rick Grimes starring Andrew Lincoln, with Lincoln having played the character for over nine seasons on “The Walking Dead.”

“It’s been ten years ‘gone bye;’ what lies ahead are two more to come and stories and stories to tell beyond that,” said Gimple. “What’s clear is that this show has been about the living, made by a passionate cast, team of writer/producers, producers, and crew, bringing to life the vision put forth by Robert Kirkman in his brilliant comic — and supported by the best fans in the world. We have a lot of thrilling story left to tell on TWD, and then, this end will be a beginning of more Walking Dead — brand new stories and characters, familiar faces and places, new voices, and new mythologies. This will be a grand finale that will lead to new premieres. Evolution is upon us. ‘The Walking Dead’ lives.”

Respected Contributor

Re: The Walking Dead to End After Season 11 and New Daryl / Carol Spinoff Series

[ Edited ]

Good, should have been canceled years ago. The newer writers ruined this show. 

Honored Contributor

Re: The Walking Dead to End After Season 11 and New Daryl / Carol Spinoff Series

@lmt   Thank you for the heads up!  It sounds great, and am looking forward to all that is ahead.

Honored Contributor

TWD started to sink with the Negan storyline-it just dragged on way too long.

Killing off Carl was a big mistake; in fact the comics ended with him and Sophia and their child.  He was to be the future and his death,  imo, left the series without much direction.  I know Sophia is dead in the TV version but I thought Carl and Enid would have been the new leaders eventually.

That was another mess-killing Enid.

I kept some interest because of Michonne but now that she is gone the series is just another rehash of the old storylines.

As much as I like Carol and Daryl, I cannot imagine what a series about them would bring-nothing fresh really.  Unless the zombies are killed off for good, and civilization returns, what could they bring?

I thought they were going to have Michonne find Rick in some movie sequels but that seems to be off the table now, too.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

@Cakers3 I agree that it was a mistake killing off Carl. I've only watched a few episodes since then. I just didn't like it anymore. 

I like the Daryl and Carol characters but I doubt I would watch that show. I don't see the point. Just cancel the show and be done with it.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Trusted Contributor

I have enjoyed the show but it is time for it to end.   I had always hoped that we would see the show overcome the "pandemic" that caused the initial infection and how mankind got life and society back.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@avid shopper wrote:

I have enjoyed the show but it is time for it to end.   I had always hoped that we would see the show overcome the "pandemic" that caused the initial infection and how mankind got life and society back.

@avid shopper   I remember Gimpel (?) or Nicotero (?)saying that the cause of the infection will never be disclosed.  I've always wondered how they could end it without disclosing that fact especilally since everyone is infected and "turn" whether they die from a bite or other causes.

I think the most will be a fractured society with communities spread out - some working together, others Negan-like.

Honored Contributor

Fear the Walking Dead is another one that needs to be finished.

I didn't care for it in the beginning and stopped watching but gave it another try with marathon watching.

I kept watching later because I like Morgan and I even like Dwight.

Too many spin-offs.  The storylines are just the same overall.

Honored Contributor

I was a huge fan since Season 2, now I couldn't care less.

I love the old episodes, up  until about Season 4 

I actually love Negan, it's those nasty Whisperers that have lasted too long.

I didn't even finish reading all the graphic novels.

In the series, I lost interest after Carl left & again when Rick left 

This is Rick's story.   There are some aspects of Rick's life that are handled better in the graphic novels.   The series didn't do him justice towards the end.

Norman Reedus, the actor, is 180 degrees different from Daryl, the character.

I love watching his transformation & not just in his acting but in all the nuances he brings to the character.   The character of Carol really doesn't do anything, she reacts.

Respected Contributor

@deeva  I agree. The show has run its course and should've been canceled years ago. Killing off Carl was bad enough, but when Rick left the show it really took a dive.

@Cakers3  Yep, the Negan storyline went on endlessly. E.N.D.L.E.S.S.L.Y. I always thought that Simon was way scarier than Negan, too. I watched Fear the Walking Dead only because of Cliff Curtis (Travis). When they killed him off I still watched for a while after hoping it would get better. It didn't. He was the only character I liked, the rest of the characters were beyond stupid. And the actress who played Madison (Kim Dickens) was soooo bad.

I think the first three seasons of TWD were the best. Especially when they were living on Hershel's farm. I enjoyed the Governor's storyline and even when they landed in Alexandria. I think (for me) what sank the show was when Negan showed up. Negan was supposed to be the Big Bad - he was laughable with his constant pontificating and the weird way his body was always leaning/swaying. As I said above, Simon was way scarier than Negan. Heck, even the Governor was scarier.

I didn't find The Whisperers storyline scary or even in the least bit interesting. Alpha overstayed her welcome - she annoyed me no end. Thankfully they killed her off.

My favorite characters have always been from the earlier years; Rick, Glenn, Daryl, Carol, Shane, Dale, Abraham, Sasha, Tyreese, Michonne. The newest characters - Magna, Luke, Connie, Lydia, Yumiko, Connie . . . . . I couldn't care less about, Don't even get me started on  Eugene, Rosita, Gabriel and Judith. (I had hoped when Carl died I'd never have to see that stupid hat again. Alas, it was not to be)

As much as I like Daryl and Carol I don't know if I can keep watching him grunt his way through a few more years.