Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Vikings --- possible spoiler for those who haven't watched!!!

Isn't the finale of the Vikings season tonight - Feb 1st??  I will be watching!!  At least we know there will another season coming...

Esteemed Contributor

Any reactions to the Vikings final show???  The whole hour was very emotional... heart rending!!  And the last five minutes confused me!!  All of a sudden there is an unknown priest speaking over a grave???  There should have been a transition there between the brother's conflict and that funeral...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My thoughts about the finale...

The death of Ragnar for me was the biggest turning point of the show and now with the death of Ecbert, this show has taken yet another huge turn. I'm saddened by the loss of Helga. Not sure why the producers got rid of her. I feel sorry for Floki for he has suffered a lot. Sigurd, otoh, I won't miss. To me he was just an extra, senseless character who seemed just an ordinary fixture...a prop for for Ivar's mean streak to leash out at. It solidifies Ivar's lack of a moral compass. Did you catch "the snake" in the eye of Sigurd's death scene? Nice director's touch I thought.  But I ask...where is Rollo??!!

The end scene with the warrior bishop (Meyers) at the grave was to me a mere introduction of the bishop character. It sets the stage for his upcoming role.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

My thoughts about the finale...

The death of Ragnar for me was the biggest turning point of the show and now with the death of Ecbert, this show has taken yet another huge turn. I'm saddened by the loss of Helga. Not sure why the producers got rid of her. I feel sorry for Floki for he has suffered a lot. Sigurd, otoh, I won't miss. To me he was just an extra, senseless character who seemed just an ordinary fixture...a prop for for Ivar's mean streak to leash out at. It solidifies Ivar's lack of a moral compass. Did you catch "the snake" in the eye of Sigurd's death scene? Nice director's touch I thought.  But I ask...where is Rollo??!!

The end scene with the warrior bishop (Meyers) at the grave was to me a mere introduction of the bishop character. It sets the stage for his upcoming role.

-------------------

I agree.. the death of Ragnar changed the story for me!!  I thought it was tragic to see Ivar kill his brother, but yes...it did show his depravity!! 

And I agree, that the last Meyers scene was to

introduce him to viewers, but there should have been something in writing about him at the end.  His scene seemed so out of place...I like transitions....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a feeling that this show has seen its glory days and its demise is on the horizon. Last night's finale sort of hinted that to me anyway with the deaths of some of the key players. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I have a feeling that this show has seen its glory days and its demise is on the horizon. Last night's finale sort of hinted that to me anyway with the deaths of some of the key players. 

------------------

We are definitely on the same page!!  I was thinking the same thing...

Respected Contributor

When they grew up Ragnar's sons to adult men so quickly into this series I knew the story would tak ea turn to focus more on them.   They are the main focus of the story now.  

I too was sad to see Helga's death....I'm assuming plans for Floki next season didn't include a wife or slave girl.  

Honored Contributor

"The end scene with the warrior bishop (Meyers) at the grave was to me a mere introduction of the bishop character."

You got that right!

Crying widow, "Thank you Bishop.  My husband has gone to a better place."

Bishop:  "The Lord will find ways to console you."

Next scene:  censored.gif

tumblr_inline_o2f0qtAtuh1t4ibi0_500.gif

==========

Some of ya'll seem to forget that the show is called "Vikings."  It is the "historical" version of how the "Vikings" started out invading England & the neighboring countries, settled into their new lands to farm & eventually insinuated themselves into the peoples they conquered.

Remember, the Vikings started out as farmers only raiding their farmer neighbors in their own land(s). 

So naturally, some if not all of the main characters will be killed off or die out & new ones brought in.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Historically, I guess, they are showing how Vikings came to assimilate as farmers in England. I wonder if Ubbe and Margarethe would have made that move considering how much he hated Lagertha.

It wasnt unusual for the Catholic clergy to take concubines but it put it's foot down when Church properties began to be willed to said concubines. such the intro of the warrior bishop.

In history, Sigurd was and is referred to as Sigurd Snake eye due to the astigmatism in 1 eye that gave the appearance of a snake. Ivar continued as a warrior, pillaging and raiding(maybe , to make up for other shortcomings, ahem?).

I'm going to keep up with the next seasons to see what transpires.

Honored Contributor

I was a bit disappointed at the finale.  I was saddened that Helga was killed.  Floki is one of my favorite characters on the show.  I have not liked Ivor from day one -- he gives me the creeps.  There seems to me nothing to like about him at all.  Some of the others even hough they do some horrible things, they do have moments where they seem human and/or capable of some feelings which are not dark, disturbing and/or evil.  And there was nothing about Lagertha at all in the show. The introduction of Jonathan Reyes Myers to me was confusing.  Was he in the show before at all?  I don't remember him.  I find him very eerie.  Wasn't he the actor who played Dracula on the short-lived show?  I did enjoy that series.  I know the show has to evolve and change but I find myself missing Ragnar, etc. What will happen when the bunch finds out that the king who signed the land over was not really the king at all?  So this obviously was not a legal and binding document or transaction!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin