Respected Contributor

Re: The Trial Of The Chicago 7 On Netflix

I watched it and loved it. Like a few other people here, I remember it very well. It gave me a pang of nostalgia for when we were so young and idealistic.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mersha wrote:

I just finished watching the movie and it was quite good.  I am happy the story of the events were told.

The acting was outstanding with noteworthy performances by Sacha Baron Cohen as Abby Hoffman; Eddie Redmayne as Tom Hayden; Joseph Gordon- Levitt as Richard Schlutz; and Frank Langella as Judge Hoffman.

As always, Aaron Sorkin's writing and directing were top notch.  There was one exception that was surprising that they did not catch.  In several scenes, a female FBI Agent was undercover to keep tabs on Jerry Rubin at the Democratic Convention in 1968; however, the first female Agent entered on duty in 1972.

The movie captures difficult events in our country during the time and I would recommend it.

Sorkin typically plays fast & loose with facts to make great drama.

This movie should not be passed off as a Documentary, it's a Hollywood production.

In the world of entertainment, there's nothing wrong with it.

EDIT^^^   This movie is not being "passed off as a Documentary"   my mistake.

Respected Contributor

I was in high school in Ann Arbor. We were a hotbed of political going ons. I loved this movie. It's hard to explain to younger people why this was important. Now my mother just shrugs them off as dirty hippies.

Respected Contributor

@traveler wrote:

I was in high school in Ann Arbor. We were a hotbed of political going ons. I loved this movie. It's hard to explain to younger people why this was important. Now my mother just shrugs them off as dirty hippies.

I know exactly what you mean.

Honored Contributor

Watched as we have watched so many programs about the Chicago 7.

The wigs on Abbie and Jerry were atrocious.

And Cohen's Massachusetts accent was all over the place.

Overall a good presentation but we really didn't see anything we haven't seen before.

""But tell me where do the children play"-Cat Stevens
Honored Contributor

@software I don't think this movie is being passed off as a documentary. It is based on a historic moment in history, but of course Sorkin has taken license for the events for dramatic purposes.

Respected Contributor

I guess I will have to watch it.  I always wonder what they were doing in central park?  We're they just hanging out?

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@software I don't think this movie is being passed off as a documentary. It is based on a historic moment in history, but of course Sorkin has taken license for the events for dramatic purposes.

I may be mistaken but thought I saw it under a category of Documentaries on Netflix.

I was looking for a documentary to watch last week & thought I saw it listed there as I was browsing.

BTW I ended up watching an episode from Down to Earth, about the water fountains in Paris.

Honored Contributor

I'm bumping this up, if your looking for something to watch and haven't seen it yet, this was excellent.

Esteemed Contributor

Having lived through that era and being an activist in many ways to this day, I looked forward to seeing this movie.  I wasn't disappointed.  The cast, settings, acting, all excellent.  I experienced many feelings while watching and that to me is a movie worth  seeing.