Honored Contributor

The Trial Of The Chicago 7 On Netflix

I just watched this film, it was written and directed by Aaron Sorkin ( I always expect great television from him and am never disappointed). This has an exceptional cast, Eddie Redmayne, Sacha Baron Cohen, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Jeremy Strong, Frank Langella, and more. I won't say what it is about, you'll get why. I can't even say how good this was, you won't want to miss it.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Trial Of The Chicago 7 On Netflix

In my young days, I watched it unfold in real time. I've seen other documentaries on it as it occurred and in hindsight. I can't wait to see the Sorkin film. 

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2   I appreciate your recommendations.  Thank you for posting this one.

This subject hits very close to home as I was involved in this case from a legal standpoint.

Aaron Sorkin is a brilliant writer so I am looking forward to this one.

Keep those recommendations coming!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Trusted Contributor

I watched the events prior on local Chicago stations; later, kept watching the trial; and often think about the subjects' lives years later and so how unexpected a few careers were: finance!, barbecue sauce and restaurants! I will need to subscribe to Netflix and Hulu to watch all the exceptional and thought provoking offerings.

Respected Contributor

I just finished watching the movie and it was quite good.  I am happy the story of the events were told.

The acting was outstanding with noteworthy performances by Sacha Baron Cohen as Abby Hoffman; Eddie Redmayne as Tom Hayden; Joseph Gordon- Levitt as Richard Schlutz; and Frank Langella as Judge Hoffman.

As always, Aaron Sorkin's writing and directing were top notch.  There was one exception that was surprising that they did not catch.  In several scenes, a female FBI Agent was undercover to keep tabs on Jerry Rubin at the Democratic Convention in 1968; however, the first female Agent entered on duty in 1972.

The movie captures difficult events in our country during the time and I would recommend it.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Been reading glowing reviews all around. 

Honored Contributor

Make sure you stay til the end of the movie, they have writing on screen that tells you what happened to each of them.

Trusted Contributor

I thought it was very well done. The acting was great. 

This is the second great movie I have seen on Netflix in the past two weeks. 

Super Contributor

I remember the events at the time so when I read that Stephen Spielberg wanted this to air before our election, I was curious.  (No, I dont remember where I read that).  This was an excellent production and very timely.  I wonder if the prosecuter (played by Joseph  Gordon-Levit) ever wrote of his thoughts / experiences from this trial.  He appeared sympathetic but duty bound.  I wonder if that was true.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lilypadfrog wrote:

I remember the events at the time so when I read that Stephen Spielberg wanted this to air before our election, I was curious.  (No, I dont remember where I read that).  This was an excellent production and very timely.  I wonder if the prosecuter (played by Joseph  Gordon-Levit) ever wrote of his thoughts / experiences from this trial.  He appeared sympathetic but duty bound.  I wonder if that was true.

@lilypadfrog   Spielberg meant the 2008 election; talks about making this film with Sorkin began in 2007.

*spelling edit

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh