Trusted Contributor

What has happened to the Travel Channel. There are no more travel shows or the food shows they used to have. I enjoyed those shows. I miss the old Travel channel.

Now it is all just ghost story shows some museum shows.   

Respected Contributor

Stopped watching years ago for the same reason.  Cooking shows are the same.  I miss the shows where they come on and just cooked.  Now every FoodNetwork show is either a competition or a chef who happens to be cooking for some very large (probably fake) planned event coming up.  

Honored Contributor

Travel channel has way too many ghost stories, awful!!

Honored Contributor

I stopped watching the Travel Channel long ago, when it started featuring food more than places to see. Yes, I know that those food shows were in different countries/states; however, I wanted to get ideas of where to travel by the channel giving you a tour of the various places in those countries/states.

The Travel Channel is not even on my "favorites" list on Direct TV, so it doesn't even pop up when I go channel surfing. That's how far away from what it used to be, that it has become. I based much of my bucket list places due to what I saw on that channel.

Never understood the change. There are around 195 "recognized" (by the United Nations) countries in the world to highlight, with another approximately 20-30 others who recognize themselves as countries. Then there are all the provinces in Canada and 50 states in the United States. It's not like there isn't anything to watch if they concentrated on places to see.

They could also show different modes of travel (RV, airplane, cruise, car, etc.) and other categories like national parks, UNESCO Heritage Sites, and the list goes on.

Honored Contributor

I think the best place to view actual cooking and travel shows is PBS.  Of course, that depends on which shows your local affiliate carries.  It's even better if your local affiliate picks up the Create Channel, which has a lot of cooking and travel.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I think the best place to view actual cooking and travel shows is PBS.  Of course, that depends on which shows your local affiliate carries.  It's even better if your local affiliate picks up the Create Channel, which has a lot of cooking and travel.

@ValuSkr  I agree. That is where I find all my shows.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: The Travel Channel

[ Edited ]

What happened?   Cooking is cheaper than traveling.   

We don't get the TC so I don't know what kind of cooking they show.   If it's cooking from countries around the world, I would like that.   

But still, a TC should show travel.  If they can't afford to do that then change the name of the channel.  Ghost stories are ridiculous.