Honored Contributor

The Today Show today-Forgiveness

[ Edited ]

I never usually watch these morning shows but saw that this would be on-

The 3 women who 2 days after the Charleston church murders, said they forgive the one who killed their loved ones. They were there.

Hoda described it as a "miracle."

I think it was.

Though they said it is a process, and one said she is not always all the way there,she wakes up every morning knowing that is what she will do-forgive.

The way they described that day, I'd never heard before.They talked about 2 lights-the light of the gunshots and the other light in the room that they saw.

You can't help crying for them and their losses and their amazing grace.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Re: The Today Show today-Forgiveness

[ Edited ]

After my first husband was murdered I was bitter to say the least.My Mom kept talking to me about forgivness but it was falling on deaf ears. Then I met the ADA who was going to prosecute his killer and oddly, he had the same name as my husband, even the same middle name.He was a Christian and when I would meet with him he would discuss the case and then he would try to talk to me about why it was important to my future and the kids future for us to forgive this man.We became friends  and every time I'd see him he would ask me if I had found my way to forgiveness yet. Eventually I was able to forgivethe killer, and now I never even think of him. It was a slow process for me to get to forgiveness but once I did , it completely changed my life. Until I got to that place I could not move on with my life, nor could the children. After i forgave him , I was able to help the children to do the same. 

Once I did forgive my friendship with the ADA waned, and I realized God had sent him to me to help me get to that place, and once I was there, his work was done and God sent him elsewhere.I missed that friendship though.I saw years later on the news that he had disappeared , his car left somewhere, and he has never been found.I prefer to think God took him to heaven, where he deserved to be.

Honored Contributor

Forgiveness is not something we do for other people.

We do it for ourselves

to get well

and move on.

It takes much prayer, faith and amazing grace.

Honored Contributor

@151949 Thank you for sharing your story.

Honored Contributor

@151949  Oh my, your story is very moving. It really, I mean really makes us assess those incidents that happen in our lives that make us stop dead in our tracks if for no other reason that make us go deep inside ourselves. Deep inside to think about what happened whatever it may be, how it happened, why it happened. Some times we may get answers, some times we just may not.

Incidents make us not only think but put us into a holding pattern, we cannot stop thinking, dwelling, stop us from moving forward in our everyday lives. I know it's very hard to let some things go but this is where forgiveness hopefully takes over.

We can forgive but we will never forget and for me in such instances allows me in my life to be able to move forward and get on with all that's important in my world. I think this is okay.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD Your so right - hatred and bitterness put our lives into a holding pattern . You are in a cycle you can't get out of.All you can think about is revenge and hatred.The only way to save yourself from that is to pray and pray and pray until you get to the place where you can forgive. 

I was lucky , years later when my parents were killed in a car accident by a drunk and high driver, I had experience seeking forgiveness and was able to get myself to that place of forgiveness much sooner than when my husband died, but it still took months.

Honored Contributor

@151949  I so hear you my friend. I too pray a lot.

Honored Contributor

I always remind myself that forgiveness is a gift for us.  Sometimes this hard pill is a challenge to swallow, but necessary for freedom from the bondage of past horrific incidents.