Valued Contributor

The Tender Bar movie with Ben Affleck

I really enjoyed and highly recommend this movie on Amazon Prime starring Ben Affleck and Director, George Clooney.  Everyone casted was excellent.

Storyline...

In 1972, 9-year-old J.R. Maguire moves into his grandfather's dilapidated house in Long Island, N.Y. Searching for a father figure, he falls under the unconventional tutelage of his uncle Charlie, a charismatic, self-educated bartender who introduces him to a handful of the bar's colorful regulars. As the years pass and J.R. grows into a young man, he tries to fulfill his dream of becoming a writer.In 1972, 9-year-old J.R. Maguire moves into his grandfather's dilapidated house in Long Island, N.Y. Searching for a father figure, he falls under the unconventional tutelage of his uncle Charlie, a charismatic, self-educated bartender who introduces him to a handful of the bar's colorful regulars. As the years pass and J.R. grows into a young man, he tries to fulfill his dream of becoming a writer.

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Honored Contributor

Re: The Tender Bar movie with Ben Affleck

I second your recommendation , it was a good movie.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Just added to my watchlist.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Chicagoan,

I third the recommendation!

It was very good!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I agree - loved it!

Trusted Contributor

It's a meh from me.

I just cannot stand Ben Affleck so I'm sure that has clouded my judgement.

There are much better coming of age films to see IMO.

dee

Respected Contributor

I read the book a few years ago, and really liked it.

I'll definitely be seeing the movie!

Honored Contributor

Oh we LOVED this movie! We expecially loved the music and the classic cars! I put this on my Facebook page when we watched it and a lot of my friends then watched it. They enjoyed it as well.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I'm putting it on right now.  Watched BA in a movie yesterday.

Honored Contributor

This was a sweet movie I enjoyed it very much. Both actors who played a young and older JR were excellent as well as Lily Rabe and Ben Afflack. Every boy with an absentee father could use an Uncle Charlie in their life.