Honored Contributor

Re: The Talk not on for a couple of days...

I seldom watch daytiime TV but did watch several episodes of the Talk their first season then they replaced two members (in my opinion the best two).  That was the end of my watching and have no idea what happened on this show.  

If I have time I try to watch The View.  I enjoy the different political views and sometimes even learn things from it.  I would be sad to see it go.

Esteemed Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

There was an old phrase: Silence is golden.

Seems as though, now-a-days, it's a somewhat good idea.

In conversations and certain situations, it might be better to  'Keep silent, keep safe'.

Quoting (more or less) Jean Lake.  Heart

Actually, taking one step forward, and five steps backward.  (Keeping silent to be safe.)

But, it's probably a good idea in some instances.

Just be polite, and do a lot of listening.

@ROMARY I agree with you in part. I think we have to learn to listen, but we also have to learn to have the hard conversations. It seems as soon as someone has a different view, or perspective the conversation is cut off. 

@manny2 @ROMARY listening is essential with these difficult conversations!

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I've watched the clip several times.  

It seems that this segment was to put Sharon on the spot as even Sheryl asked at the onset 'Am I saying it right?' to someone off camera.

But Sharon asked some great questions.

Sharon asked what Morgan said that was racist and Sheryl's response didn't really answer the question (for me).

I really don't know what he has ever said about MM, but figured Sheryl (and the producers) would've had several examples at the ready.

Sharon also asked if he (or anyone who was born white) doesn't like someone and they happen to be black, does that make them a racist?  Sheryl answered 'no'.  

It seemed, to me, like a hesitant answer. She started to say 'But....' and the girl to her left cut in and Sheryl let her continue.  I would've like to hear Sheryl continue on with that answer.

That's what needs to be addressed by CBS, et al.

@Lucky Charm Sheryl answered her quite well. She talked about implicit bias- the underlying racism. And rather than listen Sharon chose to get loud & defensive.

Sharon raised her voice and asked Sheryl to 'educate her.  Tell her what Morgan has said that was racist.

Sheryl's response was (not verbatim, but close)....'It is not the exact words of racism.  It's the implication and reaction to it.  To not want to address because she is a black woman and to try and dismiss it or make it seem less than what it is.  That's what makes it racist.'

That answer doesn't answer anything for me about what he has said historically that was racist.  Her answer was just a big circle of nothing, tbh.

It almost seems like Sheryl doesn't like PM, because he doesn't like MM.  

And as Sharon asked, just because someone doesn't like someone who happens to be black, does that make them racist?  

Again, as I said upthread, Sheryl said 'no'.  Seems she was going to elaborate, but let the other girl go who cut in, because I think she was going to give another roundabout answer.  Didn't have a solid answer.  I'd like to know the answer to that exact question, too.

That is what CBS should be addressing in all this.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I had to make as many excuses for a friend as Sharon did for why Piers talks and acts the way he does I'm not sure I'd be saying I stand behind them. I would likely say I love them as a friend but I'd be very clear that standing behind them isn't a place I'd want to be as it implies agreement. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think Piers can be really nasty and I don't care for his approach.  However, from my understanding, Piers and Meghan used to be friends.  When she became engaged to Harry, she ghosted Piers and refused to talk to him any longer.  He felt used and that’s when things fell apart.  Based on his experience with her, he felt she was a phony and has had a vendetta against her ever since.  I think he just doesn’t like her plain and simple, which is what Sharon was trying to say. 

Esteemed Contributor

There are now more circulating stories about how Mrs. O has treated past hosts.  To be exact, Julie Chen when she was a host.  It is being said that Mrs. O said racist things toward this asian woman.

Sharon sat down with Kevin Frazier on Entertainment Tonight to discuss this whole debacle.  

The extended hiatus is because they are investigating claims that Sharon Osbourne has indeed been less than "kind" to many of her co hosts of color.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@idontbelieve wrote:

That would be a breath of fresh air to get rid of both these talk shows.

You'd likely complain about what they put in their place @idontbelieve .  It's not the show, it's you.  Don't watch stuff that upsets you.  I don't.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ibby114 

Sheryl answered her quite well. She talked about implicit bias- the underlying racism. And rather than listen Sharon chose to get loud & defensive.

Sheryl articulated herself carefully when explaining why she asked the question.  She also prefaced "before asking Mrs. O anything" and wanted it to be clear that "she herself" didn't think Mrs. O was racist.  Sheryl made that clear at the onset.  I'm not that crazy about Sheryl she's been in hot water from that show too.  However, she clearly set up the question properly so as to not make Sharon appear racist and she explained what she was referring to when asked about Pierce.

Esteemed Contributor

I for one, don't understand all the great fascination with those from Great Britain/Royalty.  I hardly know who Pierce is and why he was ever in the US.  I do know Sharon Osborne because of Ozzy.  America's pre-occupation with Great Britain/Royal stuff is very interesting to me.  It interests me, because nothing they do affects the lives of Americans.

Honored Contributor

I find it interesting that Hollywood, a city that endured a lot of unpleasantness in the early 1950's, is now the leading perpetrator of similar activities.  

It shows you what happens when people forget history.