Respected Contributor

Re: The Talk not on for a couple of days...

@manny2 wrote:

I am not a fan of Sharon,or Sheryl, but I am team Sharon on this one. She was very clear on her view, and she has a right to support a friend. Sheryl was the one that would not let it go. 

I agree...She made it plain his views were not hers.  Everything said and done has to be put under a microscope to determine if it was politically correct.  If I was in the public eye I would be afraid to open my mouth.

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

I am not a fan of Sharon,or Sheryl, but I am team Sharon on this one. She was very clear on her view, and she has a right to support a friend. Sheryl was the one that would not let it go. 

I agree...She made it plain his views were not hers.  Everything said and done has to be put under a microscope to determine if it was politically correct.  If I was in the public eye I would be afraid to open my mouth.

@chicletI am not sure why people are shocked Sharon cursed. She has quite a mouth on her, and she was angry. Sheryl, and Elaine in tandem kept at her. She has a right to defend herself.

When she did ask a relevant question Sheryl couldn't answer. 

Honored Contributor

I've watched the clip several times.  

It seems that this segment was to put Sharon on the spot as even Sheryl asked at the onset 'Am I saying it right?' to someone off camera.

But Sharon asked some great questions.

Sharon asked what Morgan said that was racist and Sheryl's response didn't really answer the question (for me).

I really don't know what he has ever said about MM, but figured Sheryl (and the producers) would've had several examples at the ready.

Sharon also asked if he (or anyone who was born white) doesn't like someone and they happen to be black, does that make them a racist?  Sheryl answered 'no'.  

It seemed, to me, like a hesitant answer. She started to say 'But....' and the girl to her left cut in and Sheryl let her continue.  I would've like to hear Sheryl continue on with that answer.

That's what needs to be addressed by CBS, et al.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There was an old phrase: Silence is golden.

Seems as though, now-a-days, it's a somewhat good idea.

In conversations and certain situations, it might be better to  'Keep silent, keep safe'.

Quoting (more or less) Jean Lake.  Heart

Actually, taking one step forward, and five steps backward.  (Keeping silent to be safe.)

But, it's probably a good idea in some instances.

Just be polite, and do a lot of listening.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

In conversations and certain situations, it might be better to  'Keep silent, keep safe'.

Actually, taking one step forward, and five steps backward.  (Keeping silent to be safe.)

@ROMARY I agree with you in part. I think we have to learn to listen, but we also have to learn to have the hard conversations. It seems as soon as someone has a different view, or perspective the conversation is cut off. 

Valued Contributor

Sharon is a foul-mouthed, nasty person.  She has shown that side of herself many times.  

That said, I do think she had the right to stick up for Piers.  Why should anyone not be able to say they don't believe Meghan?  Are we required to believe every word that comes out of her mouth?  And Sharon didn't say she agreed with Piers, anyway.  

Respected Contributor

@threecees wrote:

I just watched some of the clips again and that was a shocker

when she told Sheryl not to cry. They did cut her off right at one of

the breaks when she started cursing. Heard it went on for about

25 minutes, didn't keep it on for all the fireworks.

If she returns, expecting a big apology to Sheryl will be coming.

No reason for Sharon to aplogize to Sheryl , They all knew what was going to be said read off the cards , except Sharon didn't have any advance of the questions , this whole thing is showing no respect for a co worker , and CBS is the one that should apologize for this . The show isn't very good anyway , should be canceled.

Honored Contributor

I just read the show has now been suspended until at least March 23, still under investigation. 

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I understand completely what you're saying and why and yes, if keeping the peace is the idea, silence is probably the way to go. On the other hand, I firmly believe silence is what has led to this ridiculous situation. Had people expressed reasoned opinions all along instead of falling in line with what is supposedly proper, correct and easy perhaps we would never have arrived at this point where the expression of only one opinion is allowed... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I've watched the clip several times.  

It seems that this segment was to put Sharon on the spot as even Sheryl asked at the onset 'Am I saying it right?' to someone off camera.

But Sharon asked some great questions.

Sharon asked what Morgan said that was racist and Sheryl's response didn't really answer the question (for me).

I really don't know what he has ever said about MM, but figured Sheryl (and the producers) would've had several examples at the ready.

Sharon also asked if he (or anyone who was born white) doesn't like someone and they happen to be black, does that make them a racist?  Sheryl answered 'no'.  

It seemed, to me, like a hesitant answer. She started to say 'But....' and the girl to her left cut in and Sheryl let her continue.  I would've like to hear Sheryl continue on with that answer.

That's what needs to be addressed by CBS, et al.

@Lucky Charm Sheryl answered her quite well. She talked about implicit bias- the underlying racism. And rather than listen Sharon chose to get loud & defensive.