Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Sound of Music is on ABC channel 10 Right Now

My favorite part has always been when the teenage daughter and Rollf are out under the Gazebo! I always wanted to hop from bench to bench like that! LOL....oh yeah....and wear a fluffy, swingy dress that that, too.

Respected Contributor

My favorite is the Lonely Goatherd show the children put on for the Baroness.
Respected Contributor

If anyone is interested in the actual real life story, see if your library can get you a copy of "The Story Of The Trapp Family Singers" by Maria von Trapp.  The beginning is much like the movie....but their departure from Austria was secretive but not so dramatic!  Most of the book tells of their musical career and their experiences as immigrants to America.  

It is so interesting....she really knew how to write well!  I read it when I was a teenager....wanted to read it again, so picked up a copy inexpensively on eBay.

I watched the movie tonight, too.....Christopher Plummer....so handsome!!

Frequent Contributor

My favorite part is when the Captain and Maria are dancing and they stare into each other's eyes. Love it.

Respected Contributor

@ThemeFromASummerPlace that is my second favorite part- when they dance the Llindler. Btw Ive told my family I want the theme from A Summer Place played at my funeral. I could listen to that song forever 😍
Valued Contributor

@bathina 

I like the Lonely Goatherd also. I had a dog a one time who would howl during that song in the movie. Made me laugh every time

cookin

Respected Contributor

@cookinfreak i can see why your dog would howl! Julie Andrews hits some really HIGH notes in that song. But I get goosebumps- in a good way. So sorry to learn that Christopher Plummer didnt sing his parts. I did read an onterview with him where he said the entramce and exits from the songs was his voice, but the middles were augmented by a singer named Bill Lee.
Esteemed Contributor

@bathina wrote:
A lovely story. The music is so pretty and Andrews can sing so beautifully. I love the back story of the Nazi occupation of Austria.

Did you know that Julie lost her beautiful voice?? The doctor thought she had a growth on her vocal cords...they did surgery and she could never sing again!. Turned out she didn't require surgery, so she sued the hospital. She says she's lucky she can still talk. Loved listening to her sing...Heart

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

Yes I knew that. It was very well publicized at the time.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@emmysmom i knew she had lost her voice, but not that it was because a doctor made an error. Goodness, how awful! Bad enough her amazing gift of such a pure and clear voice was taken from her, it was taken from us too. 😥 I could listen to her sing all day.