Honored Contributor

The Sons Of Sam Documentary On Netflix

I thought there was a thread about this already but I couldn't find it, forgive me if there was. This is about David Berkowitz a serial killer who terrorized NYC from 1976 to 1977. This case has always fascinated me, I though I knew everything there was to know, he was a monster. After seeing this four part doc, I'm not so sure. There is this journalist Maury Terry who makes it his life's mission to find out the truth. He is obsessed and it consumes him, spending about 16 years of his life on this. Maury doesn't think Berkowitz acted alone and thinks he was involved in a Satanic Cult. 

Super Contributor

Re: The Sons Of Sam Documentary On Netflix

The title is The Son of Sam, not plural.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The OP is correct.  The show uses the plural:

sons-of-sam-netflix.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager wrote:

The OP is correct.  The show uses the plural:

sons-of-sam-netflix.jpg

@Johnnyeager thank you for having my back! The whole point of the title Sons is Berkowitz didn't act alone. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Jordan2    I just subscribed to Netflix last month and watched this.  I found that Maury Terry's theory was intriguing.  Guess we'll never know if he is correct.

The series definitely held my attention.  I would recommend watching it.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

My sister recommended this documentary since we lived across the river from NY and was appalled and frightened by this evil killer as we followd the story in the news.  

I remember being alone at my country home in the mountains and hearing Son of Sam was in NJ headed toward a County not far away.  I don't remember the details but I remember being so scared, alone in the house and to top it a thunder storm!!!!  Of course I don't know if this was even true, him headed here, but it was enough for me to react.  Berkowiz was finally caught after murdering several people.  

He is and has been in jail where he belongs.  I heard he used to hear voices telling him to kill or something insane like that.  He could have belonged to a Satanic cult.  Bottom line, he murdered innocent people and gave much pain to their families.  I hope he rots in jail.

Super Contributor

@Jordan2, my apologies

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2I never heard of this theory and I was there when all this horror happened.  I'm going to watch, thanks for letting us know.

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2 I have this on my watch list on Netflix. Have not watched yet. 

I grew up in NY and remember this time.  We were teenagers then and my parents were concerned when we ventured out at night. 

I read the book Maury Terry wrote. It was a fascinating and interesting book. I could not put it down. I still have it. I always felt he was correct and there was more than one. 

I will watch this weekend.  

Honored Contributor

One of his first victims was my close friends cousin. This was a scary time for young women in the NY area.