Respected Contributor

Re: ✞🙏🏿 The Song of Bernadette 🙏🏿♱ 7/20 PBS

@Mz iMac wrote:

PBS

8:00p EST

Biographical drama film based on the 1941 novel of the same name by Franz Werfel. It stars Jennifer Jones in the title role, which portrays the story of Bernadette Soubirous (later canonized Saint Bernadette) who, from February to July 1858 in Lourdes, France, reported eighteen visions of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The film was directed by Henry King, from a screenplay written by George Seaton.

===========

Not sure I saw this version.  The movie (& true story) I remember, there were 3 children who at the same time saw visions of the Virgin Mary in some villiage in Italy.  I believe this happened in the 20th century.

A truly beautiful movie about Our Lady of Lourdes.  The 3 young visionaries you mention -- Francisco and Jacinta Marto, and their cousin Lucia dos Santos -- lived in Fatima, Portugal, and the year was 1917.  Francisco and Jacinta died from influenza as children; Lucia, who became a Carmelite nun, died in 2005.

Trusted Contributor

This is my all time favorite movie ever. I watch it every time it’s on and I cry every time. Jennifer Jones was magnificent and I believe it was her first movie. St. Bernadette is my favorite saint. The church I grew up attending has the most beautiful statue of Bernadette and the Blessed Virgin. Whenever I visit my hometown, I go to St. Pat’s just to kneel and light a candle at the grotto.😊❤️

Honored Contributor

Loved and bought the movie.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is a true story, and Franz Werfel wrote the book in thanksgiving, for being hidden from the Nazis( along with his family)  in  the Shrine of Lourdes ,during WW2

You are thinking of Fatima @Mz iMac  and all 3 children have been canonized by the church. Lucia said the assassination attempt on Pope John Paul 2, was what the 3 secret  was about. She had written a letter not to be opened until 1960

Pope John 23 opened the letter, and read it, sealed it back up, and said it was not for his time. He wept  after reading it.

Fatima is in Portugal ,and the children were all humble shepherd children. They had almost no knowledge of life, outside of their village.

Honored Contributor

I watched it for part of the first hour, not knowing what it was.  I had work to do, so turned it off, but it was interesting.  Next time, I'll try to watch more.  I noticed the incomparable Vincent Price had a role.

Trusted Contributor

On WNET NY, it started at 9.  Saw it dozens of times when I was a kid.  Love Jennifer Jones (Portrait of Jenny, Since You Went Away) and this movie.  Watched last night and it held my interest from start to finish.  I even cried in a few parts.  My PBS station did a recap at the end and talked about Linda Darnell and more than a hundred and fifty actresses in the running for the lead.  However, the director selected Jennifer Jones because he said she looked like she really saw a vision.  

Contributor

I missed it!  I loved this movie as a lttle girl, to the point that I wanted to take Bernadette as my confirmation.  Mommie dearest did not approve.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama  "Who's calling my name?"

The Four Tops!

whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac   Woman Very Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac 

Recently I read her biography translated by a priest or bishop.  In her telling of the apparitions, the 3 children were prepped for the vision of the Blessed Mother by an angel who told them he was the Angel of Portugal.  He gave them a short prayer to say at the end of each decade of the rosary.

As youngsters, they devised ways to make reparation for the sins in the world by hiding rough ropes against their bare skin.  Two wonderful little girls and a little boy !

One very scary excerpt in her biography has her asking Our Lady about  a certain woman who had died in their village.  Our Lady gave a very sad and direct response.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill