Respected Contributor

Re: The Sinner - New show on USA, August 2

@LTT1 wrote:

@SilleeMee@I like celery

Yes!

I kept getting Phoebe in a scene transposed in my mind with Maddie in the same scene!

Phoebe/Maddie interchangeable 

The school bus and the bones of the pg girl (MADDIE?)

I am still unclear about.

@LTT1   I, too, am not sure who the bones belong to.  I remember Cora's mother telling the detective that Phoebe had passed away one month after Cora had "ran away," and the father didn't correct her, so it seemed, at the time, to be true.  I'm thinking the detective would have, maybe, checked that out?  The fact that they keep showing Cora's memories with Maddie in some scenes, and later Phoebe in the exact same scenario seems to indicate something -- I'm just not sure what it is.  If what Cora's mother said is true about Phoebe passing away one month later, I guess it's Maddie's bones, as they never actually showed Maddie leave the hunt club / country club. I don't know if Cora's memories are affected by her possibly feeling some sort of guilt over leaving Phoebe alone or what.  If the bones are Phoebe's, and the mother lied, then why are the memories alternating between Phoebe and Maddie?  That's the million dollar question for me.  Smiley Happy   

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I like celery wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

@SilleeMee@I like celery

Yes!

I kept getting Phoebe in a scene transposed in my mind with Maddie in the same scene!

Phoebe/Maddie interchangeable 

The school bus and the bones of the pg girl (MADDIE?)

I am still unclear about.

@LTT1   I, too, am not sure who the bones belong to.  I remember Cora's mother telling the detective that Phoebe had passed away one month after Cora had "ran away," and the father didn't correct her, so it seemed, at the time, to be true.  I'm thinking the detective would have, maybe, checked that out?  The fact that they keep showing Cora's memories with Maddie in some scenes, and later Phoebe in the exact same scenario seems to indicate something -- I'm just not sure what it is.  If what Cora's mother said is true about Phoebe passing away one month later, I guess it's Maddie's bones, as they never actually showed Maddie leave the hunt club / country club. I don't know if Cora's memories are affected by her possibly feeling some sort of guilt over leaving Phoebe alone or what.  If the bones are Phoebe's, and the mother lied, then why are the memories alternating between Phoebe and Maddie?  That's the million dollar question for me.  Smiley Happy   

@I like celery  @LTT1  It is confusing, as I thought the bones were Maddie's, then when Phoebe died, I thought they could be hers except for the fact that if that were true, wouldn't the parents have contacted police about their missing sick daughter who never left the house or bed, barely?  There has been no mention of that

Maybe Phoebe went into a coma and died a month later, but it seems the police still would have been involved as the Mother blamed Cora for Phoebe's ill health, so why wouldn't she have jumped on Cora about taking Phoebe to a place where activities caused her eventual death?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If the bones belonged to Maddie, what would have been the motive to murder her? I don't believe JD would have killed her because he was tired of her. 

EDT:  another thing about the bones...when they police dug them up, one of them commented that the bones appeared to be that of a young girl. Remember, Phoebe was frail, had a bad heart and had been bedridden most of her life which would cause her body to become underdeveloped for her age...ie..that of a young girl.

Respected Contributor

They seemed to be doing drugs often, and JD was a dealer.  Maybe it was intentional or maybe it was an accident.  I guess we will find out Wednesday.

I'm not sure there was a motive to kill Phoebe or Maddie, but I could see a little more of a reason for JD to kill Maddie, as he was tired of her, and may have just wanted to "get rid of her."  Or either death could have been an accident.  Also, remember the episode where JD and Maddie's landlord was interviewed?  The landlord stated she was concerned for Maddie, and how Maddie was always afraid of JD.  Also, how Maddie just disappeared one day, leaving all of her belongings in the house that she and JD were renting.  I think I remember (but not for sure) the landlord even mentioned the July 4th weekend was the last she saw Maddie.

I remember the forensic guy saying the bones appeared to be those of a young girl or young adult, and Maddie was young and petite.

Do you have an opinion on why Cora's memories of the exact same events are sometimes remembered by Cora with Phoebe in the situation, yet other times with Maddie in the same exact situation?  I don't think we know just yet what actually happened that night, as the memories keep changing.  

What do you think of Cora's mother telling the detective Phoebe had passed away one month after Cora "ran away" ?  If the bones are Phoebe's bones, wouldn't the parents have said something about Phoebe disappearing, never to be found again, instead of saying she died?  Are the parents not telling the truth?

Another thing I remembered was in one of the more recent episodes, one of Cora's memories showed Cora walking down the basement stairs, and stepping on Maddie's chest, as Maddie was laying at the bottom of the stairs.  It was a really quick scene.  Maddie appeared to be passed out on the floor, but raised up in pain after Cora stepped on her chest.  I don't think that would have been how Maddie may have died, but I'm guessing it was symbolism, much like how both Phoebe and Maddie alternately appear in Cora's memories for the same scenario.  That particular incident wasn't the same exact scenario as many of Cora's alternating memories, but Maddie's chest area was shown being crushed, and last week's episode showed Phoebe's chest being crushed when Frankie was performing CPR on her. 

(if you answer any of the questions, please don't include an spoilers in your answers.  Thanks!)

♥ Life is beauty full ♥