Honored Contributor

Their families were political refugees and Reza and Asa are the only two that were born in Iran. Asa's father, from what I understand, was a Captain in the Iranian Navy.

Respected Contributor
I am strangely attracted to this show. May be because I am an immigrant too. Love Reza, his sense of humor. Asa seems a little weird to me. They are the crazy bunch for sure.
Trusted Contributor

I'm glad to see there are other fans of this show. I wanted to get back to this thread but have been too busy. These are some quirky people but I love that no matter what happens they love each other and seem to work out their issues.

Hooty is correct is who was born in Iran and about Asa's family.

G.G. is my least favorite. She certainly needs some professional help IMO.

Super Contributor
On 2/8/2014 paShar said:
waOn 2/8/2014 lenapecci said:

I do not watch the show much. Did they mention on the show why they can't go home.?

Asa's said her father held a high rank in the military. I don't know why they left but that was why she said that she and her mother can never go back. I got the idea that the family left the country because he defected, but someone else can clear that up.

Reza cannot go back because he is gay and that would not be tolerated.

Well, that's the gist of it, but oversimplified. Reza left Iran as a small child, so it wasn't about being gay.

I liked seeing the episode, but it was mostly about Asa. I don't think the others are that involved; Mike said Iran is not his home, so it wasn't a big deal to him.

I can't imagine standing outside the US and not being allowed in. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Super Contributor
On 2/9/2014 ennui1 said:
On 2/8/2014 paShar said:
waOn 2/8/2014 lenapecci said:

I do not watch the show much. Did they mention on the show why they can't go home.?

Asa's said her father held a high rank in the military. I don't know why they left but that was why she said that she and her mother can never go back. I got the idea that the family left the country because he defected, but someone else can clear that up.

Reza cannot go back because he is gay and that would not be tolerated.

Well, that's the gist of it, but oversimplified. Reza left Iran as a small child, so it wasn't about being gay.

I liked seeing the episode, but it was mostly about Asa. I don't think the others are that involved; Mike said Iran is not his home, so it wasn't a big deal to him.

I can't imagine standing outside the US and not being allowed in. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

I didn't see the whole episode but I got the impression that it didn't mean a lot to the rest of them - Mike, MJ and GG - because they can enter the country. Something that GG said about understanding that when she goes to that country she knows she has to dress differently and cover her head.

It means a lot more to Asa and Reza because they can't go back. I feel for them and I agree that it would be difficult to be a citizen of a country and be able to go up to the border but not cross over. It was so touching when Asa said that she just wanted to breathe the air again.

Respected Contributor
As I watched, I thought of my Grandfather. We are Armenian, he escaped the Turkish Genocides in 1912 to come to Providence RI. My Ancestors were from Sivas, Turkey. He could never go back.....I now understand his feelings a bit more after seeing these episodes. Never to return to his homeland, believing his brothers, sisters....all were killed. Imagine how scary to come here, not knowing the language, no job....nothing! ........................ Great episodes!
Honored Contributor

@tigra  YES!  That's it!  You found it!  Why didn't it come up before.  Now how to I let that person who asked about it (it wasn't you, was it) know where it is.

See, I've already lost track of who was interested.  I told you guys there wasn't much to it.

YOU FOUND IT!

I'm impressed!