Honored Contributor

I'm always late to @Oznell's great movie chats since I don't get any Turner channels and those are the channels featuring all the wonderful classics.

In any event, I got The Sandpiper on DVD from Netflix and watched this morning.  Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, a noticeable presence from Charles Bronson, and gorgeous scenery.  Plus, most of her tops had bell sleeves, in case anyone is interested.

I have to say I did not enjoy it, but I appreciated it.  Anyone else find that to be the case?  

I found the story uncomfortable, not because of the affair or anything, but more because the Elizabeth Taylor character seemed too accepting of her own son's faults.  Although that was probably supposed to be the whole point.  (Seriously, @Homegirl, get with the picture!)  Woman LOL  

I did enjoy the DVD extras.  One was on the sculptor who was commissioned to craft the Elizabeth Taylor statue out of redwood.  I thought it was good, but it didn't look like her.  I thought that was extra unusual because the clip showed him taking measurements of her face from a life cast.  And still he didn't get it right.

I also had forgotten it was filmed in Big Sur.   So beautiful.   I've been there a couple of times but never got to go to any of the famous places like Nepenthe. 

The DVD extra called it "The" Big Sur.  Does anyone ever notice how folks from LA talk about highways with "the" in front of the number, like "the 405," "the 101" whereas those of us in northern California just say the number ("101," "680").  I have a feeling they were doing that with "the" Big Sur.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I have the Sandpiper DVD and extra Big Sur DVD too. I don't think the sculpture looks like Liz either, I guess it's his interpretation or maybe we are just used to seeing her all made up. Anyway, I love that movie and watch the DVD again and again. I think she( the character) feels guilty because the boy's father is not in his life and she indulges him. Also, she is a free spirit so to speak, I find people who are very creative are of that ilk.

Honored Contributor

IMO Elizabeth Taylor is an excellent actress but many of the movies she made were not my taste including the Sandpiper.

Honored Contributor
This is an interesting movie and I’ve watched it several times. Of course I think it’s worth watching just for the scenery and to see her house and her clothes. I actually find her character likable and interesting. Surprisingly, I find Richard Burton‘s character to be very unlikable. As always, he’s easy on the eyes and easy on the ears but, I find him to be a very unlikable and angry man of the cloth. His confession to his wife was very selfish. I also think he used Elizabeth Taylor’s character, a selfish man going through a midlife crisis. Was he really in love with her, or in lust with her and her lifestyle that he pretended to judge and reject, when in fact he was jealous and unhappy with his own life?
Honored Contributor

I like your assessment, @bikerbabe

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.