Trusted Contributor

@heart of savino  If I heard right they said the U.S. is the worst in maternity deaths of all the civilized countries?  If that is the case, how darn sad is that.l

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I find it hard to watch because of the voices....very low, we are constantly turning the volume up then down!

I've noticed that also, I always have to turn the volume up. Thought it was just me. 

Super Contributor

Me too - sometimes I have to turn on the subtitles to watch because they are always mumbling - and my hearing is perfect...

Honored Contributor

@chlema wrote:

@heart of savino  If I heard right they said the U.S. is the worst in maternity deaths of all the civilized countries?  If that is the case, how darn sad is that.l

@chlema, the exact term he/she used was developed countries which, to me, means countries where people have access to all the knowledge and technology available.  I have heard that said before, so I believe it could be true.

Honored Contributor

This includes all the young drug addicted mothers. We probably have the highest number of drug addicted newborns too, Has little to do with the health care system. Many who can afford it travel to the US  for treatment.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@chlema wrote:

@chlema, the exact term he/she used was developed countries which, to me, means countries where people have access to all the knowledge and technology available.  I have heard that said before, so I believe it could be true.

Here's a little more info about the young woman shown at the end who died that the episode was sort of based on:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/allthemoms/2019/04/15/the-resident-fox-reveals-racial-bias-mater...

Honored Contributor

To tell you the truth, from what I saw on the show, I wouldn't necessarily come to the conclusion of racial bias on the parts of either the doctor or the charge nurse.  More a case of over confidence.  The only apparent racial bias was the doctor's question about how long Dr. Pravesh had been in the country.  Suely, he had been asked that question before.  Many doctors seem to have a God complex and don't like to be questioned.  The issue is more of complacency because C-sections are considered routine.  Of course her stomach hurts; she just had surgery on it.  A little blood in the cath is normal. So, the question is whether he would've gone in to check on the woman had she been white, and given his attitude, I don't know that he would've.  

I really wasn't watching that closely prior to the part where the doctor asked Dr. Pravesh the question about how long he had been in the country, so if something was shown demonstrating his racial bias before that I missed it.

Honored Contributor

I saw it just as you did @Icegoddess . The doctor didn't want anything he did questioned. Can anyone tell me how Dr. Bell had his shaking hands cured? That was a big part of Season one.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG  Yea, I've been curious about that too... They sort of glossed over that en route, it seems, to trying to turn him into one of the good guys...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Yeah, & I haven't heard them calling him HODAD (Hands Of Death & Destruction) this season at all.