Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,827
Registered: ‎06-17-2015

@Icegoddess wrote:

To tell you the truth, from what I saw on the show, I wouldn't necessarily come to the conclusion of racial bias on the parts of either the doctor or the charge nurse.  More a case of over confidence.  The only apparent racial bias was the doctor's question about how long Dr. Pravesh had been in the country.  Suely, he had been asked that question before.  Many doctors seem to have a God complex and don't like to be questioned.  The issue is more of complacency because C-sections are considered routine.  Of course her stomach hurts; she just had surgery on it.  A little blood in the cath is normal. So, the question is whether he would've gone in to check on the woman had she been white, and given his attitude, I don't know that he would've.  

 

I really wasn't watching that closely prior to the part where the doctor asked Dr. Pravesh the question about how long he had been in the country, so if something was shown demonstrating his racial bias before that I missed it.


@IcegoddessThat is why the committee is now formed to investigate every maternal death at Chastain.

 

If there is an uptick with women of color then certainly there is a racial bias problem.

 

The question to Dr. Pravash was unprofessional and we cannot say if he was asked that before.  Even if that has happened, that doctor was out of line as a professional AND in the operating room, no less.

 

The episode may have left doubt but the seed was planted with the indicident with Dr. Pravash.

 

The charge nurse was dimissive of what she was asked to do; "short-handed" is not an excuse.

 

It was a heart-breaking episode and I thought that family was treated in a negligent manner overall.

""Out beyond the ideas of right-doing and wrong-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there." -Rumi
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,238
Registered: ‎08-03-2013

You made some very valid points @Cakers . Excellent post.

 

“Dance like nobody's watching; Love like you've never been hurt.
Sing like nobody's listening; Live like it's Heaven on earth.”

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,779
Registered: ‎10-01-2013

I saw an arrogant Dr. and a lazy nurse. Sadly, neither are in short supply in hospitals. If  you are short staffed (which happens) you have to step up and still care for the patients. Excuses don't cut it when lives are at stake. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,169
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

@Cakers wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

To tell you the truth, from what I saw on the show, I wouldn't necessarily come to the conclusion of racial bias on the parts of either the doctor or the charge nurse.  More a case of over confidence.  The only apparent racial bias was the doctor's question about how long Dr. Pravesh had been in the country.  Suely, he had been asked that question before.  Many doctors seem to have a God complex and don't like to be questioned.  The issue is more of complacency because C-sections are considered routine.  Of course her stomach hurts; she just had surgery on it.  A little blood in the cath is normal. So, the question is whether he would've gone in to check on the woman had she been white, and given his attitude, I don't know that he would've.  

 

I really wasn't watching that closely prior to the part where the doctor asked Dr. Pravesh the question about how long he had been in the country, so if something was shown demonstrating his racial bias before that I missed it.


@IcegoddessThat is why the committee is now formed to investigate every maternal death at Chastain.

 

If there is an uptick with women of color then certainly there is a racial bias problem.

 

The question to Dr. Pravash was unprofessional and we cannot say if he was asked that before.  Even if that has happened, that doctor was out of line as a professional AND in the operating room, no less.

 

The episode may have left doubt but the seed was planted with the indicident with Dr. Pravash.

 

The charge nurse was dimissive of what she was asked to do; "short-handed" is not an excuse.

 

It was a heart-breaking episode and I thought that family was treated in a negligent manner overall.


I agree it was a heart-breaking episode.  However, I do take issue with some of your comments.

1.  There was no mention of an uptick with women of color, just that it happened to them more, and it had nothing to do with Chastain.  It was referred to as a natiion-wide problem.  But, since this incident and probably many more happened at Chastain is why Chastain set up the investigation team.  Maybe it was done as a suggestion to other medical institutions to do the same.  Since it's not an uptick, it doesn't necessarily mean it's racial bias.  There are many reasons it could be other things.  Someone else mentioned drugs, but my thought goes to many of the poorer areas of the country where medical care is little to nonexistent.  Obstetricians have left the field, especially in these poorer areas.  A lot of that has to do with the high cost of malpractice insurance for these doctors.  So, it doesn't matter if everybody has ACA insurance if there's no doctors to take care of you. My state has only recently started allowing midwifery which might help in these areas, but shortly after passing that law the only registered midwives were in the metropolitan areas.  

 

2.  I see nothing wrong with asking someone about their background.  To me it's no different than asking where are you from.  Being from the South, if I were to travel to NYC I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear someone say "You're not from around here are you?"  I wouldn't be offended. I think it's a sad state to be offended by every question about someone's background.  A lot of it really has to do with how the question is asked, which is also why there are often misunderstandings on social media without the ability to hear the nuance or see the facial expressions. If it has to do with a conversation that had nothing to do with the procedure at hand, it seems from most of the medical dramas that I have watched over the years that it's a common practice.  The conversations that go on in the operating room on The Good Doctor would put that simple question to shame as far as unprofessional goes.  I don't know if that's how things actually are since I've never been awake for very long, although I usually do ask what they're giving me to put me out.  Of course, in this case both the patient and her husband were awake in in the OR so there wasn't a chace of those sort of conversations going on.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,827
Registered: ‎06-17-2015

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Cakers wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

To tell you the truth, from what I saw on the show, I wouldn't necessarily come to the conclusion of racial bias on the parts of either the doctor or the charge nurse.  More a case of over confidence.  The only apparent racial bias was the doctor's question about how long Dr. Pravesh had been in the country.  Suely, he had been asked that question before.  Many doctors seem to have a God complex and don't like to be questioned.  The issue is more of complacency because C-sections are considered routine.  Of course her stomach hurts; she just had surgery on it.  A little blood in the cath is normal. So, the question is whether he would've gone in to check on the woman had she been white, and given his attitude, I don't know that he would've.  

 

I really wasn't watching that closely prior to the part where the doctor asked Dr. Pravesh the question about how long he had been in the country, so if something was shown demonstrating his racial bias before that I missed it.


@IcegoddessThat is why the committee is now formed to investigate every maternal death at Chastain.

 

If there is an uptick with women of color then certainly there is a racial bias problem.

 

The question to Dr. Pravash was unprofessional and we cannot say if he was asked that before.  Even if that has happened, that doctor was out of line as a professional AND in the operating room, no less.

 

The episode may have left doubt but the seed was planted with the indicident with Dr. Pravash.

 

The charge nurse was dimissive of what she was asked to do; "short-handed" is not an excuse.

 

It was a heart-breaking episode and I thought that family was treated in a negligent manner overall.


I agree it was a heart-breaking episode.  However, I do take issue with some of your comments.

1.  There was no mention of an uptick with women of color, just that it happened to them more, and it had nothing to do with Chastain.  It was referred to as a natiion-wide problem.  But, since this incident and probably many more happened at Chastain is why Chastain set up the investigation team.  Maybe it was done as a suggestion to other medical institutions to do the same.  Since it's not an uptick, it doesn't necessarily mean it's racial bias.  There are many reasons it could be other things.  Someone else mentioned drugs, but my thought goes to many of the poorer areas of the country where medical care is little to nonexistent.  Obstetricians have left the field, especially in these poorer areas.  A lot of that has to do with the high cost of malpractice insurance for these doctors.  So, it doesn't matter if everybody has ACA insurance if there's no doctors to take care of you. My state has only recently started allowing midwifery which might help in these areas, but shortly after passing that law the only registered midwives were in the metropolitan areas.  

 

2.  I see nothing wrong with asking someone about their background.  To me it's no different than asking where are you from.  Being from the South, if I were to travel to NYC I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear someone say "You're not from around here are you?"  I wouldn't be offended. I think it's a sad state to be offended by every question about someone's background.  A lot of it really has to do with how the question is asked, which is also why there are often misunderstandings on social media without the ability to hear the nuance or see the facial expressions. If it has to do with a conversation that had nothing to do with the procedure at hand, it seems from most of the medical dramas that I have watched over the years that it's a common practice.  The conversations that go on in the operating room on The Good Doctor would put that simple question to shame as far as unprofessional goes.  I don't know if that's how things actually are since I've never been awake for very long, although I usually do ask what they're giving me to put me out.  Of course, in this case both the patient and her husband were awake in in the OR so there wasn't a chace of those sort of conversations going on.


@Icegoddess   Go back and read what I said.

 

I didn't say that there was an uptick at Chastain.  I said the committee was formed and IF an uptick was found then the issue of racial bias would have to be investigated.

 

Nobody said that Chastain had more maternal deaths among women of color.

 

That has yet to be determined by the new committee.

 

Dr. Pravash was assumed to be a foreigner simply by his appearance.  That is a far cry from you being asked in NYC about your Southern accent.

 

I'm a northener in a southern state-I get the asking about my "accent".  I'm not offended either but a person like Dr. Pravash is automatically assumed to be a foreigner.  That is why he was offended. 

 

 

""Out beyond the ideas of right-doing and wrong-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there." -Rumi
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 106
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

I am also wondering about Dr. Bell and his previously shaking hands.  They focused so much on that in the previous season, now nothing.  What the heck happened with that?  And now he also seems like he's a somewhat more respectable person rather the trashy one he was prior.  So what changed him? I feel like I missed 2 important aspects of the show.

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,827
Registered: ‎06-17-2015

Dr. Bell  dodged a major bullet in the previous storyline.

 

I would think that humbled him a tad.

 

DId I miss it or did the person who murdered the doctor scamming the chemo patients ever get caught?  Can't remember her name.  lol

""Out beyond the ideas of right-doing and wrong-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there." -Rumi
Honored Contributor
Posts: 56,846
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@Cakers wrote:

Dr. Bell  dodged a major bullet in the previous storyline.

 

I would think that humbled him a tad.

 

DId I miss it or did the person who murdered the doctor scamming the chemo patients ever get caught?  Can't remember her name.  lol


@Cakers  Yea, that was another story that went nowhere... Lane Hunter got out of jail on bond, tried to blackmail Bell and was immediately shot by the husband of one of her former patients, who was apprehended... It all pretty much happened in one episode and his capture was handled as a news report...


In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,827
Registered: ‎06-17-2015

@stevieb wrote:

@Cakers wrote:

Dr. Bell  dodged a major bullet in the previous storyline.

 

I would think that humbled him a tad.

 

DId I miss it or did the person who murdered the doctor scamming the chemo patients ever get caught?  Can't remember her name.  lol


@Cakers  Yea, that was another story that went nowhere... Lane Hunter got out of jail on bond, tried to blackmail Bell and was immediately shot by the husband of one of her former patients, who was apprehended... It all pretty much happened in one episode and his capture was handled as a news report...


@stevieb  Thank you-I figured it might have been a patient's family member but couldn't remember the capture.

""Out beyond the ideas of right-doing and wrong-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there." -Rumi
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,238
Registered: ‎08-03-2013

Did it come as a surprise to anyone that Nic wasn't compatible with her sister but her deadbeat father was? I didn't think he would step up and donate but he made some valid points about giving an organ to an addict. In the same situation I can't say I would be able to give without a lot of self-reflection. Thoughts?

“Dance like nobody's watching; Love like you've never been hurt.
Sing like nobody's listening; Live like it's Heaven on earth.”