Respected Contributor

Re: The Resident-- addition of new person to show!

Best show I have seen in a while.  I love it.  A lot of shows start off good and then go in some direction that is not what the show started to be.  I hope this shows keeps true to the original premise.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@winamac1 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I've enjoyed the show when I've rememberd to watch it but I can tell you that adding Warner is no big draw for me... I don't think this cast needed to be larger and, assuming the show needs one, don't see him as being any kind of shot in the arm at all...

@stevieb

I'm not so sure about him either. I can't tell if he's too over the top aggressive to truly be a valuable addition to the cast.  His character is most certainly highly unbelievable!  I know it's fiction, and I love the other characters, but he was almost too much.

It may be interesting with Dr. Okafor though--meaning their dynamics.  He's definitely a maverick.

@winamac1 I guess I'm just so tired of those in 'the biz' assuming they know best, taking a show they consider to be 'faltering' and revamping it in a way that usually obfuscates the original premise, in the effort to ramp it up. It rarelly works. A show needs to either sink or swim on its merits. They did the same thing with Code Black and, as far as I'm concerned, it was better before they tinkered with it. Added to that, I've never been a Warner fan. I thought The Resident was fine as it was.

I'd agree.  The Resident was fine without him!

@stevieb

The other thing, @winamac1, that I'm finding somewhat questionable is the apparent diversity 'quota' that seems sometimes a bit overdone in many of today's shows. I wondered if that played a part in this casting. They appear to have deep sixed the hospital administrator at the same time they brought in Warner. It seemed rather t-it for tat... There was a time when diversity might have needed to be mandated, but looking at the ethnic makeup of TV today, it seems rather stilted sometimes... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@RINGER@stevieb@chiclet@winamac1@aubnwa01

Loving this show!

Dr. Okafor is my favorite so far.

Malcolm Jamal Warner had a somewhat significant role in the short tv series “Ten Days in the Valley” with Kyra Sedgwick.

We liked this series and watched every episode. 

The Resident is so evil! I hope the field is not as corrupt as it is portrayed in this show.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I've enjoyed the show when I've rememberd to watch it but I can tell you that adding Warner is no big draw for me... I don't think this cast needed to be larger and, assuming the show needs one, don't see him as being any kind of shot in the arm at all...

@stevieb

I'm not so sure about him either. I can't tell if he's too over the top aggressive to truly be a valuable addition to the cast.  His character is most certainly highly unbelievable!  I know it's fiction, and I love the other characters, but he was almost too much.

It may be interesting with Dr. Okafor though--meaning their dynamics.  He's definitely a maverick.

@winamac1 I guess I'm just so tired of those in 'the biz' assuming they know best, taking a show they consider to be 'faltering' and revamping it in a way that usually obfuscates the original premise, in the effort to ramp it up. It rarelly works. A show needs to either sink or swim on its merits. They did the same thing with Code Black and, as far as I'm concerned, it was better before they tinkered with it. Added to that, I've never been a Warner fan. I thought The Resident was fine as it was.

I'd agree.  The Resident was fine without him!

@stevieb

The other thing, @winamac1, that I'm finding somewhat questionable is the apparent diversity 'quota' that seems sometimes a bit overdone in many of today's shows. I wondered if that played a part in this casting. They appear to have deep sixed the hospital administrator at the same time they brought in Warner. It seemed rather t-it for tat... There was a time when diversity might have needed to be mandated, but looking at the ethnic makeup of TV today, it seems rather stilted sometimes... 

That's actually a very valid point.  It looks to be heading in that direction.

I'll have to take a watch and wait and see approach, lol.  The jury is out on him.  I do love Dr. Okafor and her passion for what she does.  Conrad and Nic's characters are both super likeable as they truly want the best for their patients.  

I will be very disappointed if it's not renewed.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

I love Dr. Okafor. The actress steals every scene she's in. Watching her tell the new guy she wasn't afraid of him was a fantastic moment. 

I love her too...but I will NOT like the new Dr. coming on...obnoxious as heck..I dislike him already.... what was all the screaming about in his  O.R. ????

I want to see Lilly's Dr. go to jail, asap.    She is a murderer...

Trusted Contributor

@qvcfreak wrote:

it was good to see “Theo” again. I love his character. 

@qvcfreak

I hated how he acted in the O.R.....just like a bully and didn't like his character on just this 1 episode....hope he does not stay.....

Honored Contributor

I think that's what I didn't like--he was more like a bully.  Dr. Okafor isn't a bully.  I hope if they continue with this character, he's not so aggressive.  I didn't like the bullying nature either. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

@mishka14, I didn't like how he acted in the O. R. either, what was all the yelling about. 

Trusted Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@RINGER@stevieb@chiclet@winamac1@aubnwa01

Loving this show!

Dr. Okafor is my favorite so far.

Malcolm Jamal Warner had a somewhat significant role in the short tv series “Ten Days in the Valley” with Kyra Sedgwick.

We liked this series and watched every episode. 

The Resident is so evil! I hope the field is not as corrupt as it is portrayed in this show.

@RINGER

THank you so much...I loved  Ten Days in the Valley...and now I remember where I recently saw M.J. Warner....wasn't he the producer of her book/show or something..It was driving me nuts trying to remember where we last saw him...Thanks....so far, I don't like him as this new obnoxious Dr....