Honored Contributor

The Quiet Place - Horror Movie

My granddaughter recently got accepted into a special school for gifted teens.

I often spend time with her, her sister and sometimes brother.  We go to bookstores, shopping and lunch.

So, I said, "What do you want to do to celebrate"?  My daughter called and said, "They have 1/2 day of school on Friday.  How about taking them to the movie's?"

So, on Friday I'll be taking them to see what I understand is a very scary movie.  I like scary movies.  What I refuse to see are those where chainsaws and lots of blood (people loosing limbs, etc) are in the picture.

I think this is my kind of movie like I used to watch.  The kind where one's imagination does the scary part.  I think some of you 'Boomers' like myself, know what I'm talking about.

I've always found a person's imagination does a better job of scaring someone than watching a made-up monster.  

One of my granddaughters has already seen the movie once (this will be her second time); so I assume it's probably pretty good.

I haven't seen much here about it though.  I think it's gotten pretty good reviews and earned quite a bit of money.

In other words this won't be one where I fall asleep (which I've done before); (fingers crossed).  Ha!

Honored Contributor

Re: The Quiet Place - Horror Movie

[ Edited ]

I heard 2 local radio reviews who went into great detail and it's waaay too scary for me. Course, I've neve been a scary move fan, so...

Trusted Contributor

I just saw a commercial for this movie. I was telling my husband this looks 

like a good movie. 

@Annabellethecat66 Let’s us know what you think after you see it. 

Honored Contributor

@lenapecci I will try to remember to come back on here and let you guys know what I think of it.

I like the fact that it didn't cost that much to make (as far as movies go) and it's making quite a lot more money!

Of course husband and wife probably didn't get paid much so that cuts down on the cost but that's OK.  

The movies I used to like were those where your imagination went everywhere....that's what was scary.

I remember seeing "The Creature From the Black Lagoon".  I was so afraid because we didn't get to see him for some time.  We imagined a lot of things!

As a matter of fact I heard an interview by the director of the Oscar winning "The Shape of Water" and he said he was a huge fan of the person who designed the Creature in the above mentioned movie.  He said the creature is some part of that same creature.  (See, us old timers know what's good)...Ha!

Frequent Contributor

If you like scary movies without a lot of gore, check out "The Others" with Nicole Kidman.  It came out several years ago but I remember jumping out of my seat when scary stuff started happening.  HTH

Honored Contributor

I was surprised to just read an article about this movie, that it's a silent movie.

It seems the terrifying plotline of Emily Blunt and John Krasinski's new movie isn't the only reason viewers are having a painfully-uncomfortable time watching it. 

According to movie-goers posting on Twitter, A Quiet Place is quickly proving to be one of the most horrifying big-screen releases of the year - because eating any kind of crunchy snack, including popcorn, during the dialogue-free film, is so agonizingly difficult.

In the movie, which was released earlier this month, the characters are forced to live in total silence while hiding from extra-terrestrial monsters that hunt only by sound; they communicate non-verbally throughout, using American Sign Language as their only means of 'speaking' with one another.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5599863/New-movie-Quiet-Place-stressing-snackers-embarrass...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Cape Fear with Robert DeNero and Nick Nolte is scary IMO, especially because it is not supernatural.  Every time I watch it, I bite my nails on the edge of my seat.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I know what you mean about liking scary movies without all the gore......ITA, and yes, I am also a boomer.  (Poltergeist comes to mind.)  I did see a short preview to this film, and was a little taken aback that they could not make a sound in it.  I'm not sure how that would sit with me, but I'll be interested to see your review!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

The movie is PG-13, so it's not as bad as R

Watch the trailer.

John Krasinski wrote & directed, stars with his wife Emily Blount.

I'm a John Krasinski fan, I want to see it.

Honored Contributor

@2blonde I'd last about 2 minutes (keeping quiet).  I like people and I like talking to people!

My late husband had Tinnitus (ringing in ears), so he always wanted the heat pump fan running and 'white noise'.  I guess I got used to it.

My next door neighbor (he helps me, he's 20 years old) said he saw it with his girlfriend.  He said they liked it.

I just love being with my grandchildren (although 2 are teenagers and 1 is almost a teenager).

I keep telling them how lucky I am that they like being with me....(I learn so much about young people in today's world through them).