Valued Contributor

“The Politician” on Netflix

Just finished binge watching the first season. This is the worst series I’ve seen in a long time. I don’t know where to begin. First, I have to admit that I watch anything written by Ryan Murphy with about as much seriousness as I would watch “Tom and Jerry” while babysitting a bunch of 5 year olds. I think his style is amateurish, disjointed and juvenile, but I chose to watch this series because I’m a fan of Ben Platt, and I wanted to see how Murphy’s style might be influenced by being on a different platform like Netflix. Well, I was wrong. The plot meanders, the characters are unlikable and make unbelievable choices, he makes fun of things he shouldn’t make fun of, and just when you think it’s over, there’s another episode to sit through. Really the biggest issue is that the secondary character development is so light that when he launches into a plot about any of those characters, you just don’t care about them and it ends up being extremely boring. There are plenty of wonderful series to watch on Netflix. If you’re looking for one to occupy your time, don’t choose this one.

Honored Contributor

Re: “The Politician” on Netflix

@MaryLamb  Wow! Mary, tell us what you REALLY think.  Ha!  I'm kidding.

I thoroughly enjoyed your synopsis of this show.  It was thoughtful and well-written.

I thought about watching it, but then I read Ryan Murphy was involved and I thought I'd wait to read more about it.

I can't keep up with all of the shows out there now.  I certainly don't want to waste time on something I don't like.

It's difficult to pull oneself away from a show (any show) when you've invested more than 1/2 hour in it.  It's kinda like, "Well, I might as well see this through".  Then I think, "Maybe things will get better".  

But they often don't (get better that is).  Ha!

I'm (maybe) reading between the lines in thinking (perhaps) this is very, very one-sided?  I'm asking that question?  

I want to watch something (especially) political, that keeps me guessing (at least for a little while) what the politician's politics are....

In other words, I want to see the ying and yang (present both sides of the who and why).

With Hollywood as it is, my guess is this show isn't that way?  Whoa!  Even that sentence can present ire today.

I remember watching "Designated Survivor" on TV and the President started out giving the impression he was one way, then he was another way.  At least it kept me guessing and hoping he was truly out for the betterment of the country not just his political party.

OMG!  What an obsolete thought!  That someone, anyone, could even consider doing something, anything, where he or she would not benefit from.................

Valued Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I thoroughly enjoyed your synopsis of this show.  It was thoughtful and well-written.

I thought about watching it, but then I read Ryan Murphy was involved and I thought I'd wait to read more about it.

I can't keep up with all of the shows out there now.  I certainly don't want to waste time on something I don't like.

It's difficult to pull oneself away from a show (any show) when you've invested more than 1/2 hour in it.  It's kinda like, "Well, I might as well see this through".  Then I think, "Maybe things will get better".  

I'm (maybe) reading between the lines in thinking (perhaps) this is very, very one-sided?  I'm asking that question?  

I want to watch something (especially) political, that keeps me guessing (at least for a little while) what the politician's politics are....

In other words, I want to see the ying and yang (present both sides of the who and why).

With Hollywood as it is, my guess is this show isn't that way?  Whoa!  Even that sentence can present ire today.

I remember watching "Designated Survivor" on TV and the President started out giving the impression he was one way, then he was another way.  At least it kept me guessing and hoping he was truly out for the betterment of the country not just his political party.

OMG!  What an obsolete thought!  That someone, anyone, could even consider doing something, anything, where he or she would not benefit from.................

@Annabellethecat66  So, the show (on the surface) is not political at all. It’s about a high school kid who is running for president of the student body. He sees it as a stepping stone for getting into Harvard, and eventually wants to be president of the country. His character is very similar to Reese Witherspoon’s in the film, “Election.” It’s really about ambition more than politics. So, if you’re tired of politics, it’s not like this series will put you over the edge. It’ll just bore you.

Trusted Contributor

@MaryLamb 

I read your first line and thought....what did I miss. If someone binged the whole thing, I must have missed something.  When I read the remainder of your post...LOL!  

I watched about 30 minutes of the first episode and said "nope, this isn't for me".

The only reason I checked it out was, I saw Dylan McDermott was in it but I did not see him in the 30 minutes I watched.  Also I guess I thought it would be satarical in reference to today's politial environment.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Annabellethecat66  In Designated Survivor, Kirkman was an independent...he didn’t have a political party. He got grief from both sides. 

Glad to know The Politician is on. I liked the trailer.  

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda  I know he started out that way, but if you read what I typed, I saw or felt he was leaning otherwise....I no longer felt like he was an Independent.

I’m an Independent as are many of my friends...

Trusted Contributor

I also binge- watched the series ( so far) today. It seemed to go in too many directions. Each episode had its moments, and I must admit that the last episode seemed to set up a restart for the episodes that may follow, but this was not my favorite series by this writing/ directing team.  It was interesting to see so many familiar faces (Judith Light, Bette Midler, etc.), but I can only hope that this series becomes less dark and finds its narrative footing if / as it goes forward.

Esteemed Contributor

I started watching last night and watched the last two episodes today. And I love it!! Can hardly wait to see the next season when it becomes available.  I thought it was really funny. 😂

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Not seen this, but Ryan Murphy is usually brilliant in whatever he touches. 

Honored Contributor

I watched it, I loved it! I'm going to watch Modern Love om Amazon Prime next. It is 8 independent stories.