Respected Contributor

The Passing of Korean Actor Lee Sun Kyun

I debated whether to post this, but I realize there is a number of posters that watch and enjoy Korean shows. Plus there are disturbing cultural issues involved in his death. For some reason, the passing of this man, that I know only from film has affected me.

Lee Sun Kyun was a South Korean actor probably best known to American audiences from his role as the wealthy homeowner in the 2019 film Parasite.

He was a gifted, and award winning actor who over twenty years was adept at all genres from romantic, comedic, dramatic and even action roles. 

I most recently watch him in Payback: Money and Power. The man seemed to be always working. He was scheduled as the lead in two upcoming series. A scandal curtailed that. 

Now what is considered a "scandal" in the Korean entertainment culture is different than in this country. It is usually career ending and relentless. Their entertainment world seems in extremes with a love or hate outlook especially in social media. 

He had been accused of illegal drug use, and although tested negative three time the investigation continued. The source of the allegation also fueled the rumors.

His last interview with police lasted 19 hours. On December 27 he made the decision to leave this world.

I hope he has found peace.

I think anyone who has watch a number of K-dramas has seen reflected the public shaming, the comments of bullying, the veneration of their celebrities with the expectations of perfection, and more than a few references to suicide. 

I read that 70% of unnatural deaths in the age group of 10 to 49 is attributed to suicide. Yes 10 year olds. The country has an extremely high suicide rate.

Such a sad end, and in itself the tale is as if it were out of a drama.

Honored Contributor

Re: The Passing of Korean Actor Lee Sun Kyun

[ Edited ]

That is so awful and sad.

Anyone who is put through 19 hours of interrogation (not that it doesn't happen here or other countries) especially when police already seem to have made up their mind of guilt even with 3 negative drug tests,

would probably feel totally helpless and not much hope.

Some of the best movies I've watched are Korean. 

I'm really sorry to hear about this.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Lee Sun-kyun Was Blackmailed By Two Women Before His Death - Here's All We Know!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I read the news about his passing this morning. It really saddened me to think of the anguish he went through, feeling helpless and humiliated. All while so avoidable. Rest in peace, Lee Sun.

Respected Contributor

@Etoile308    What a heartbreaking story.  Far too many people are doing this because of social media and public humiliation just as you said.  This makes my heart hurt.😞. What a terrible loss.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A little more background on this tragedy that had me say this could have been a plot in a K-drama, life imitating art. 

Lee had been the victim of blackmail, where he had already paid a substantial amount of money. It seem in a society so focused on image, the blackmailing of celebrities is not uncommon. The blackmailer was possibly a mistress. It seems drug use can be forgiven in time, but infidelity can cancel a career. This is a country where until 2015 adultery was a crime.

He requested a polygraph and requested one be given to his accuser. This seems known because aspected of his confidential police interview were leaked to reporters.

A victim being revictimized. The tipping point being the information on his personal life revealed. 

And even the means to his heartbreaking solution was a method I had seen for the first time just two weeks ago while watching the drama First Responders. All so very sad.