Respected Contributor

Re: The Passage

[ Edited ]

Years ago I read the trilogy; The Passage, The Twelve and City of Mirrors. Although I mostly enjoyed the first book, the story quickly went off the rails (for me) when the story kept shifting forward and backward in time. And not just weeks or months, but hundreds of years. The second and third book were extremely tedious for me to finish. For reference, I love post-apocalyptic stories, so this triology was a big disappointment for me.

That said, I did watch the pilot episode and enjoyed it. I loved the little girl who plays Amy, she is very good in the role. I intend to keep watching and see how it plays out. 

I've never read a book where the movie (or in this case, the TV series) was better, but this may be the rare time that it happens.

The Passage and its sequels were supposed to be adapted to the big screen:

Fox 2000 and Ridley Scott's Scott Free Productions purchased the movie rights to The Passage for $1.75 million in 2007, long before the book was completed. John Logan, writer of Scott's Gladiator, was to write the movie's screenplay. According to Justin Cronin they were first focusing on one movie, but since he already mapped out the other two books, they knew what was coming next and they planned on three movies.

Scott Free eventually determined that the property would better serve as a television series and, in 2016, adapted the book series into a pilot for Fox.

Trusted Contributor

I really enjoyed The Passage and hope it stays with us.  The reviews were not good.  Of course that's always the case with a show that I like!  I told my husband I liked it because it was well acted and easy to follow.  He agreed so I hope it sticks around longer than just a few episodes. 

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed the first episode. Seems to have an interesting storyline involving a little bit of science, conspiracy, horror and drama...all the things that make a show interesting if they keep it in the right proportions.

Trusted Contributor

I saw where Ridley Scott is one of the producers, so maybe the storyline will stay pretty true to the books. 

Regular Contributor

I watched it last night and I'm on the fence about it. A little too gory in some parts for me. I'll probably watch the 2nd episode and make a decision then. 

Honored Contributor

Where did they end the first episode?  I fell asleep.

Feel free to use the spoiler feature if some haven't seen it yet.

I'm re-reading the first book of the series.  It didn't follow the book except in a generic way.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I think this show is really good...and getting better! It keeps me interested all the way to the end of each episode. I'm enjoying everything about this series so far.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee, I feel the exact same way! 

Honored Contributor

I'm watching, so far so good. 

I did not read the books, I don't read & it seems some faithful readers are not happy with the deviations from the book.

It's 2 different mediums, it's not going to be the same

The 2 stars are incredible - Mark-Paul Gosselaar & Saniyya Sidney

The concept & story line are compelling.

Just enough soap opera, just enough action, just enough science fiction.

Trusted Contributor

I am enjoying this series so far, and agree with those who say it's the perfect balance to hold interest. 

Compelling and the acting is superb!