Respected Contributor

The New Batman is Robert Pattinson

Robert Pattinson Batman

Robert Pattinson is officially the new Batman.

Warner Bros. has closed a deal for the “Twilight” actor to play the Caped Crusader in “The Batman.”

Matt Reeves’ superhero tentpole hits theaters on June 25, 2021. Variety first reported on May 16 that Pattinson was in negotiations for the part. The studio confirmed on Friday that he had signed a deal.

Pre-production on the Warner Bros.-DC Comics pic is expected to start this summer. No official start date has been set for filming “The Batman.”

Reeves, the filmmaker behind the last two “Planet of the Apes” sequels, assumed “Batman” directing duties from Ben Affleck in January 2017. Reeves will produce “The Batman” with his “Planet of the Apes” collaborator Dylan Clark.

Affleck starred as Batman in two titles directed by Zack Snyder: 2016’s “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” and 2017’s “Justice League.” Both films received mixed reviews and were a disappointment for Warner Bros. in its efforts to compete with Marvel Studios in the superhero realm.

Honored Contributor

Re: The New Batman is Robert Pattinson

[ Edited ]

Pale, sickly looking and a sour puss face.  And that blank look.  No ones home.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

Jeez, wouldn't have even thought he'd be a contender.

I am not a fan of the Batman franchise.  I watched it on TV way back when, and when I think of Batman that's what I remember.  Adam West was Batman.  Can't remember who Robin was.  And then all the assorted characters.  Frank Gorshin as the Riddler, Burgess Meredith as the Penguin, Caesar Romano as the Joker, etc...

See you next week, same bat time, same bat channel. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

He looks more like a vampire to me than a Batman.....

Respected Contributor

I remember when everyone was up in arms about Ben Affleck a few years ago---Robert is a way worse choice. I just don't think he's that great-looking and I can't see him in this role. 

Honored Contributor

I find him attractive in kind of a mysterious way..... It is everything about him... not any one feature.  Not a Brad Pit or a Robert Redford kind of handsome( the OBVIOUS)..... more of a aura that he has.... the sum total of all the parts make him attractive.

Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Pale, sickly looking and a sour puss face.  And that blank look.  No ones home.

I agree...YUCK!! I may be the Lone Ranger here but, Ben Affleck was an amazing Batman!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I think Robert is a good choice.  I wonder who will be his Robin.

Respected Contributor

Can’t stand that guy! IMO there really haven’t been any good Batmans.

Respected Contributor

I can't see him as Batman, but what do I know?

I think the best Batman was Christian Bale.

View image on Twitter

Variety reported on Friday that Pattinson would play the vigilante in a planned standalone movie called The Batman, helmed by War for the Planet of the Apes and Cloverfield director Matt Reeves. An additional report from Deadline suggested that Pattinson was Reeves’ preferred choice, but Warner Bros. executives weren’t entirely sold. The “studio was torn between him and Nicholas Hoult,” according to Deadline.

Batman is a crucial franchise for Warner Bros., and the studio didn’t want to jeopardize it. There is a chance that The Batman could turn into a mini-franchise of its own, according to Deadline, with the supposed contract set to “include options on at least two more films.”

The casting decision ultimately came down to two contenders, Robert Pattinson and Nicholas Hoult. Deadline confirms that the screen test took place yesterday with Pattinson winning the role.