Respected Contributor

I've read reviews that The Nevers has so many characters and so many subplots, that they make it chaotic & difficult to follow. I've been watching it, and I pretty much agree with the reviews I read. IMO, much of the time seems dedicated to fights to the death.

Honored Contributor

Was anyone still watching this show? I watch on HBO MAX and thought I had clicked on the wrong show because it was a 180 from what the show was. I didn't completely get everything, I guess it was the future and what we were use to was the past? Amalia True must have been sent back, into a different body to possibly change the future, I could be totally wrong?

Honored Contributor

I am enjoying the Nevers.  It does have a lot going on and you have to be attentive so as not to miss anything.  Of course I love the acting and settings as I do in all British shows.  Norton who was in Grandchester plays a different character for sure and Mary who was Esmeralda in Poldark is in it also.  I always enjoy seeing different British actors/actresses in other series. I know they are talented enough to try different roles.

I haven't finished watching the entire series, almost though and I look forward to how it ends.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2  I watched it live on HBO last night and had to check that I had on the correct station!!

I ended up looking at some recaps.  Even with that, I'm probably going to get it wrong.  But, you are correct.  From what I remember, in the future, there are two teams fighting for the planet.  The alien and the researchers got along, but the other group killed the researchers (they said they were torturing the alien by killing what it loved).  Amalia (Stripe, or whatever her actual name is) was on the same team as the researchers, I guess this was why they were there (?) The alien had given up on Earth and was about to leave, but it's last thing it did was to send Amalia back to when it started and try to change the future from the beginning. Which explains why Amalia has those incredible fighting skills.  I wasn't paying attention, but I guess she enters the asylum speaking with an American accent and thus why you see her getting in shape and taking diction lessons from a fellow patient.  (I'm still not certain how Maladie went completely insane, but I think Amalia sent her to the crazy doctor that ended up doing the lobotomies. At least, I think it was the same doctor.)

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Was anyone still watching this show? I watch on HBO MAX and thought I had clicked on the wrong show because it was a 180 from what the show was. I didn't completely get everything, I guess it was the future and what we were use to was the past? Amalia True must have been sent back, into a different body to possibly change the future, I could be totally wrong?

Still watching, it has its moments. I find it hard to follow. It reminded me of Dr. Who from the first song by Mary. I guess that's where we're going.

Which woman went into Amalia's body? Or was it a man? The night/dark scenes are hard to follow. Were the Victorian items in the future there because people come and go to Victorian England? (sigh).

I like the bird man and hope he ends up with Penance. Both are from the present? Is the doctor from the future?

Esteemed Contributor

@candyagain I don't know if it's only Amalia or more that are from the future.  I guess it could go either way (I don't remember if the recaps said anything about it because I don't think it was made explicit yet.) Right now, I think Amalia was sent to protect the touched people (but I could be wrong!) The doctor seemed very surprised by his abilities, so I don't think he's from the future.  Nevertheless, I feel like Amalia shared who she really was with him.

It was the blonde woman who went back in time and took over Molly the baker's body as she was committing suicide (sooo many names for one person!) The blonde woman was the one who was talking to the Indian (?) woman and who took a bite of the apple (I suppose there's some symbolism there maybe?) She was also seen doing the same thing with her fingers. She was not happy with her short new body (although she conceded she had good boobs!)

I don't think the rest of your questions had been answered. I do recall one of the recaps saying that some of the items had been seen in earlier episodes.  I admit that, even though I read the recaps, I'm still not really invested in the show.  It's just different, so I want a slightly better understanding of what's going on.  Still doesn't mean I understand it all!!  LOL

I should look when it's supposed to return.  I thought I read that this was the mid season finale, but guess I don't know what that means for HBO!

Trusted Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

@candyagain I don't know if it's only Amalia or more that are from the future.  I guess it could go either way (I don't remember if the recaps said anything about it because I don't think it was made explicit yet.) Right now, I think Amalia was sent to protect the touched people (but I could be wrong!) The doctor seemed very surprised by his abilities, so I don't think he's from the future.  Nevertheless, I feel like Amalia shared who she really was with him.

It was the blonde woman who went back in time and took over Molly the baker's body as she was committing suicide (sooo many names for one person!) The blonde woman was the one who was talking to the Indian (?) woman and who took a bite of the apple (I suppose there's some symbolism there maybe?) She was also seen doing the same thing with her fingers. She was not happy with her short new body (although she conceded she had good boobs!)

I don't think the rest of your questions had been answered. I do recall one of the recaps saying that some of the items had been seen in earlier episodes.  I admit that, even though I read the recaps, I'm still not really invested in the show.  It's just different, so I want a slightly better understanding of what's going on.  Still doesn't mean I understand it all!!  LOL

I should look when it's supposed to return.  I thought I read that this was the mid season finale, but guess I don't know what that means for HBO!

Thanks, that clears up who Amalia was originally. And I first thought the woman who died in that scene was the new Touched woman who makes ice. Not an easy series to follow. I'll keep watching because it has its moments and I'm a Joss Wheedon fan.

I may re-watch to see the part about the Victorian artifacts in the future. Are they going in and out of time, backwards and forwards? Also, curious about Maladies fate. Her tatoos?

The apple and all the drugs on the shelves mentioned in the dialogue in the scene? I hope it all gets cleared up.

The new Amalia must have been able to transfer her "knitter" hands to the doctor who isn't from the future?

We'll find out....hopefully.

Esteemed Contributor
@candyagain - this doesn’t answer any of your questions, but I just read this as I was looking for when the 2nd part will be aired…

I completely missed this, but the blonde woman apparently killed herself in order to save the alien and set it free. Right before she died is when the alien did whatever it did to send her back to Molly the baker’s body. It also said that when Amalia found the same location in Victorian London, that she had a flash forward that she wasn’t the only one that came back - and the other person wasn’t friendly.

2nd part isn’t expected for some time; filming now. Delays due to Covid and because of how technical it is - don’t expect to see it until 2022 at some point.
Trusted Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:
@candyagain- this doesn’t answer any of your questions, but I just read this as I was looking for when the 2nd part will be aired…

I completely missed this, but the blonde woman apparently killed herself in order to save the alien and set it free. Right before she died is when the alien did whatever it did to send her back to Molly the baker’s body. It also said that when Amalia found the same location in Victorian London, that she had a flash forward that she wasn’t the only one that came back - and the other person wasn’t friendly.

2nd part isn’t expected for some time; filming now. Delays due to Covid and because of how technical it is - don’t expect to see it until 2022 at some point.

Interesting, fills in some gaps.

Too bad we have to wait, I want it all now!   Woman Very Happy