Honored Contributor

This is a six-part series from executive producer Tom Hanks. It premieres Sunday July 7 at 9:00 on CNN. The doc spotlights American films from the 1930's through today.The 1980's is up first.

Honored Contributor

"1980's is up first"

Which is why I am passing on this one.  Too much flip flopping.

Much prefer starting the earlier years first to show the advancements in movies, movie technology & movie acting as the years progressed.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I love the "Saturday Night Fever" take-off by Don Lemon in a promotion for this series.

Trusted Contributor

I love the '80's but agree it would better to show from the earliest years forward.  But what do I know.  I will watch anyway. I love any "behind the scenes" on movies and tv. 

7/18/19 - I just read the info on the CNN site for this series and they are airing the decades all out of order...I will record the whole series and then watch in order from " The Golden Age to current.  

• (7/7) The Eighties – The episode explores the crowd-pleasing titles of the 80s such as The Empire Strikes Back, E.T. and The Breakfast Club.
  • (7/14) The Nineties – The episode explores movie stars of the 90s like Julia Roberts and Will Smith and beloved films such as Jurassic Park, Titanic and Pulp Fiction.
  • (7/21) The 2000s To Today – The episode explores popular films of the 2000s such as Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings and Moulin Rouge.
  • (7/28) The Seventies – The episode explores the films of the 70s that pushed the medium of movie-making such as The Godfather, The Exorcist and Jaws.
  • (8/4) The Sixties – The episode explores the popular films of the 60s such as West Side Story, Bonnie and Clyde, and The Graduate.
  • (8/11) The Golden Age – The episode explores the most iconic films from the 1930s through the 1950s such as King Kong, Casablanca and A Star is Born.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I saw this previewed and it is all set to record...I agree with others that I would prefer to see them start with the earlier years and go forward.

I'm sure it will be very interesting and done very well... I'm a big fan of Tom Hanks!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

Just a reminder this starts tonight.

Honored Contributor

I've got my Tivo set to record every episode of this series.  I'm looking forward to it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

So what did everyone think?

I really enjoyed it and appreciated the views of various people in the industry.

Only problem is that I'll have to watch it again with a legal pad to list movies I haven't seen that piqued my interest and those to be revisited. Woman Wink

Denise
Honored Contributor

@denisemb I watched and enjoyed it very much. I had forgotten how many wonderful films there were in the eighties. Next week is the nineties.

Honored Contributor

I really enjoyed this too. Gosh, there were a lot of great films in the 1980s.

I love the shows Hanks has produced for CNN (i.e. those decades shows, the 1960s being my favorite) but I do wish he wouldn't just keep interviewing the same few people.  After watching all those decades shows, I'm tiring a bit of the same people  --- there are plenty of critics and movie historians to interview.  Switch 'em up.

Other than that I really enjoyed the show, although I wish I'd seen more than a few seconds worth of a clip of some of those films that I loved so much.  

I will be watching each week while this series is on.  I love films.