Honored Contributor

This is a documentary series on Netflix, two seasons, four episodes each. Season One has Dirty Dancing, Home Alone, Ghostbusters, and Die Hard. Season Two, Back To The Future, Pretty Woman, Jurassic Park, and Forrest Gump. It gives a behind the scenes look of how the movie got made, almost didn't. So far I have watched Dirty Dancing (full disclosure one of my favorite movies) and Home Alone (love this movie too). I'm finding it very interesting. 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 I once watched Pretty Woman on cable to see what all the hoopla was about a prostitute who is paid to stay with a rich customer. I still don't see the big deal and don't see it as a romantic movie at all.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Movies That Made Us

[ Edited ]

Hope they included  Blade Runner 1982 .  Beaches 1988, Top Gun 1986, Legends of the Fall 1994.

Agree, never understood that Pretty Woman movie being so  remarkable.

Honored Contributor

If these are the films that "made" us, we're in trouble.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

"The Movies That Made Us" focused almost exclusively on films from the 1980s and 1990s.

So, quite obviously,  most posting here were already "made" by then.

Respected Contributor

Re: The Movies That Made Us

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2   I have enjoyed watching how these movies came to be. The stories behind some are fascinating.  A few of the movies I took my children to see when they were young.

The behind the movie stories that I have seen so far are Pretty Woman, Die Hard, Back to the Future, Dirty Dancing, Ghostbusters and Forrest Gump. 

Home Alone and Jurassic Park are also offered.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Jordan2 I once watched Pretty Woman on cable to see what all the hoopla was about a prostitute who is paid to stay with a rich customer. I still don't see the big deal and don't see it as a romantic movie at all.

@Love my grandkids - The original movie had a darker ending. It was supposed to tell the (real) story of drug-addicted young prostitutes in L.A. The original script had Edward giving Vivian the money and leaving her. Vivian uses some of it to take Kit (who was a much more troubled character) to Disneyland. They are in the back of the bus and Kit asks if they can get mouse ears. 

Julia Roberts has said Edward threw Vivian out of the car near an alley and threw the money on top of her, but the original screenwriter said this was not in the script. 

Once Disney and Garry Marshall got involved, and once they saw the chemistry between Julia and Richard, they knew the ending would be a happy one. Is it plausible? Probably not, IMO. But as a fairy tale, it works. Just like most Disney princesses, Vivian gets saved by the handsome prince!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@just bee   Totally agree.  Forest Gump, although a brilliant film, I find it heart renderingly sad.  So much life lost....typical for many who lived their younger years in the 60s.

@just bee wrote:

If these are the films that "made" us, we're in trouble.