Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@MoonchildeI love history. I would really like to visit this house sometime. Did you get to see most of the house or was it a tour of certain rooms? So cool that you have been there.

I do agree with the previews that they look scary. I know from reading the story that Sarah thought that bad spirits were after her and her family for all the Winchester guns that killed people.

I wish true stories would stick to the facts. Thanks for your post and I too, want to see the movie.

@VenturaHighway  Apparently, she was a very small woman.  The staircases are very narrow and as I recall, the stairs shallow, for short legs. Smiley Happy  A lot of walking.  quite a bit was open, some roped off, but no one could go through the entire house, lol, would be there for a long time.

@mousiegirl, she had very bad arthritis and there wasn’t much of anything doctors could do for it then. She had those stairs made because of her arthritis. She also had elevators in the house.

The first time I went they had no problem with people taking photos during the tour. The next time I went, they no longer allowed them. Outside yes, inside no.  I’m unclear, after what management have said and not said about it last year, whether photography is allowed or not. I honestly can’t see why not unless they think it will slow down the tours.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

@MoonchildeI love history. I would really like to visit this house sometime. Did you get to see most of the house or was it a tour of certain rooms? So cool that you have been there.

I do agree with the previews that they look scary. I know from reading the story that Sarah thought that bad spirits were after her and her family for all the Winchester guns that killed people.

I wish true stories would stick to the facts. Thanks for your post and I too, want to see the movie.

@VenturaHighway  Apparently, she was a very small woman.  The staircases are very narrow and as I recall, the stairs shallow, for short legs. Smiley Happy  A lot of walking.  quite a bit was open, some roped off, but no one could go through the entire house, lol, would be there for a long time.

@mousiegirl, she had very bad arthritis and there wasn’t much of anything doctors could do for it then. She had those stairs made because of her arthritis. She also had elevators in the house.

The first time I went they had no problem with people taking photos during the tour. The next time I went, they no longer allowed them. Outside yes, inside no.  I’m unclear, after what management have said and not said about it last year, whether photography is allowed or not. I honestly can’t see why not unless they think it will slow down the tours.

@Moonchilde  When I went, I took tons of pictures, but this was over ten years ago, took a Girl Scout group.

Honored Contributor

Re: The Movie-Winchester

[ Edited ]

it seems that the website for the home is promoting the movie......you can watch the trailer directly on their website.

it does state that there are no photos allowed inside the home.

there is a blog on the mansions website. it looks like they post  2-4 times  month.

link to their blog: http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/blog/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

wrote:

it seems that the website for the home is promoting the movie......you can watch the trailer directly on their website.

it does state that there are no photos allowed inside the home.

there is a blog on the mansions website. it looks like they post  2-4 times  month.

They post on FB almost every day.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

This is all very interesting. I saw a quick preview and saw Helen Mirren being blown backward by some force. It was so computerized. I totally dislike movies that do that sort of thing. Old Hollywood did it better.

Honored Contributor

@VenturaHighway@Moonchilde@sunshine45@mousiegirl:

I just read an interesting article in The Daily Beast.  I wish it had more facts but clearly there isn't a ton of info on her and I learned new things, all positive.

.  I think Q will take down a link if I post it because the site also has political content so google:

"Helen Mirren Turned My Ancestor's Life Into a Ghost Story"

BTW I disagree with the title of the article; Helen Mirren may star in it but she didn't produce, write or direct it.  Anyway the article is worth a read.

Contributor

Not worth the price of admission.  Too many ghosts and not enough focus on the actual history of the house.  Helen Mirren did an excellent job of acting however.

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

Not worth the price of admission.  Too many ghosts and not enough focus on the actual history of the house.  Helen Mirren did an excellent job of acting however.

@Lady Chanel So you saw it then? Was rotten tomatoes low score accurate? Because I saw Phantom Thread last weekend after the massively positive rotten tomatoes score. IT WAS A BOREFEST!!!  I'll never get those 2 hours back. The trailers looked awesome too. Woman Sad

Valued Contributor

I love a good ghost story and I really liked it.