Trusted Contributor

The Monkees marathon is on Decades now

Lots of great music.

Honored Contributor

Re: The Monkees marathon is on Decades now

Lots of great teenage memories, thanks for posting,

Wishes with Christmas Graphics, Christmas Greetings, Christmas Images, Christmas Photos and Pictures for Orkut, Facebook, other Social Network Websites.

Respected Contributor

I was a "Monkee maniac" at age 9-12...but I haven't a clue what "Decades" even is...but I'm betting I don't have it.

Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I remember people saying that they didn't play the instruments on their recordings, is this true?

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I remember people saying that they didn't play the instruments on their recordings, is this true?

@amyb  I'll bet you can access Decades. It is not a cable channel, so you don't have cable, your antenna should pick it up. If you have cable or satellite, it's probably somewhere in your channel lineup even if you haven't come across it. 

@deepwaterdotter My memory is a little fuzzy on your music inquiry, but I seem to recall that although Micky Dolenz, Mike Nesmith, and Peter Tork could play instruments they did not on the early Monkees records.  This was fine when the band was a product of the controlled environment of the TV show and records, but as the business of The Monkees expanded and they went on tour, they had to play in live performances.  Eventually, management allowed the boys to finally play on the records.  The band's time together was pretty short-lived, so the body of work is not extensive.   

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotterMike and Peter had music instrument backgrounds.  Davy and Micky came from acting/singing  backgrounds.  Micky learned to play the drums for the series.  Eventually they did play their own instruments.

Trusted Contributor

Mike Nesmith was always my favorite.  That smile of his, even as an older man, it still got to me.

RIP,  I'll always miss you. 

Honored Contributor

Quite a few of us lost Decades in 2018, it is been Start TV ever since. 

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter   Peter Tork and Michael Nesmith were accomplished musician's and performers, songwriters before they starred on the Monkees.  Now, I'm not saying that they were well known or famous.  Mickey Dolenz faked drums in the beginning and learned how to play them for real during the series.  Davey Jones was an actor and performer.  I don't recall seeing him play much aside from tamborine and those maracas.  Maybe he played keyboard?  I don't remember.

Mike was my favorite when I was a kid.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise