Honored Contributor

On tonight' episode of "The Middle ", I was struck by the simple heartfelt speech that Mike gave to Sue about his hopes for her. He is a man of few words, but tonight those words were lovely.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

A lot of Dads are like Mike.  My late husband was a man of few words.  In fact I kept my girls in line by simple saying, "Are we going to have to talk to Dad about this"?  They would have to go to him and tell them (hey!  I'm not a tattle tale)....He didn't scream or yell just said a few words in their room but he didn't forget, like I did.

I like having guys for friends because things are simple with males (as a rule).  I go bla bla bla.  And he'd go bla and they'd remember it.  Ha!

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

On tonight' episode of "The Middle ", I was struck by the simple heartfelt speech that Mike gave to Sue about his hopes for her. He is a man of few words, but tonight those words were lovely.

I think it's because Mike's character comes off as not caring about trivial things.  So it comes as a surpise when he expresses his sentiments.  He is a man of few words, yet a lot can be said using less drama, more meaning.

Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1:

Not to take away from your post, but I loved it when Axel & Brick went for a driving lesson in the "Bago" and the ensuing hilarity. This show has always been written well, and this year is no exception. The actors are outstanding. I miss Bricks' little "tic" of echoing things, so I guess the writers are letting him grow out of it.

dee

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, that was my FIL. A good man too.

Honored Contributor

Presently looking forward to rerun season. In our market, The Middle is on opposite NCIS. 

We'll be watching NCIS first, then going back to catch up on "The Middle".

UNFAIR, but good business, I guess.

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

Presently looking forward to rerun season. In our market, The Middle is on opposite NCIS. 

We'll be watching NCIS first, then going back to catch up on "The Middle".

UNFAIR, but good business, I guess.

When I have two favorite shows on at the same time I just dvr one of them. Then I can watch it at my leisure. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I saw that; I love that show.  That episode and Mike's conversation with Sue certainly struck a cord with me.   I think it did with many working class and middle class families.  We sacrifice so much to send our kids to college and we want them to have that full college experience, we want them to explore and take advantage of all that college has to offer and we want them to live their dreams.  BUT....college is a big investment.  An investment in their future and that's what they have to keep in mind, they have to keep their eye on the prize and that prize is a career that pays a good salary and has growth potential because we need for them to do better than we did.  I felt for Mike because it breaks a parent's heart when we have have to tell our kids that they can't be anything they want to be, the whole world is not theirs for the taking. 

Honored Contributor

I know a few people elsewhere have expressed their disappointment with this show but it still just makes me laugh.

I loved the t-shirts everyone was wearing that said POO on the front.   How fitting.

I also loved when Sue came out and said she decided what she wanted to declare as her major and Mike said "is that a real thing?" Cracked me up.