Honored Contributor

Re: The Mary Tyler Moore Show

I ask myself that same exact question, @Spurt !   Maybe, for one thing, writers of an earlier generation had a broader reach of cultural references, and better education and general knowledge to start with?   Probably a lot of factors at work....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I recall her being her being on the  D ick Van D yke show and then getting her own show. I haven't seen it in a long time but always enjoyed it. Sorry QVC would let me post the name like I wanted to lol.

Honored Contributor

Ever notice how they made MTM look older for DVD Show and younger for her later show. Hair was much more styled and poufy to make her look older snd more sophisticated and she wore hats and lots of suits, where on MTM she had long, more flowy hair, and more junior like clothes. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

It's also been very entertaining to see Betty White in MTM.  I know her as sweet, innocent Rose Nylund in The Golden Girls so it was fun to see her in a more sassy role.

@Mellie32  I heard an interview with Betty, They originally wanted her to play Blanche Deveroux in The Golden Girls! Probaby due to the Sue Ann Nivens role.  But she wanted  to do something different and asked for  the Rose role.

Honored Contributor

Haven't read all,but the Fonz,in a very small part, is a guest at one of Mary's parties.

Honored Contributor

Henry Winkler

Honored Contributor

And John Ritter played the minister who married Ted and Georgette before he was famous. 

Honored Contributor

One of the episodes that comes to mind is Season 3, Episode 23: Put on a Happy Face.

A stained dress, a sprained foot, a bad cold, and a hair bump -- what else is going to go wrong for Mary before the annual Teddy Awards banquet?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

The Mary Tyler Moore show was so entertaining.  It had a great cast who worked very well together and as a result was a big hit on TV.  I remember everyone loving the show and tuning in weekly to laugh and have a fun time.  These shows capture an audience and run for years.  Sadly when they end you do miss them but I am happy many return years later for a new generation to enjoy.  I watch many of the older shows on Decades, MeTV, drama and comedy.  I still enjoy and the comedies continue to make me laugh, timeless, top quality TV.

@spiderw 

Watcfhed MTMS from the beginning....well written, well acted-perfect cast......my my how far have we fallen when compared to so called comedy series we have today....!!!!  Yep, I prefer the classic TV channels these days...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

Loved her then and still love her now!