Respected Contributor

Re: The Mary Tyler Moore Show

Saturday nights were Mary Tyler Moore, followed by Bob Newhart and then Carol Burnett 🙂

Respected Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

I've been watching all of the episodes of this show from beginning to end this year.  I knew very little about it before I started watching.  I gotta say I came out of it changing my favorite comedic actress from Lucille Ball to Georgia Engel.  

Did you watch the show when it was first aired?  Thoughts?  Favorite episodes?  

@Mellie32  I loved the Mary Tyler Moore show.  One of my favorite episodes is "The Lars Affair".  Sue Ann Niven "Happy Homemaker" show host was having an affair with Phyllis's husband Lars.  While the two women are having a confrontation about the affair, Sue Ann slams the oven door shut with her knee, great physical comedy.  Supposedly it was Betty White's idea to add this to the scene, she's so funny.    The episode is on youtube.com.

Honored Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

Saturday nights were Mary Tyler Moore, followed by Bob Newhart and then Carol Burnett 🙂

At 8 earlier in the Sat nite lineup was All in the Family, and   few other shows that were much more short lived at 8:30 ET.  One of them was Bridget Loves Bernie in 1972 with Meredith Baxter and David Birney. 

Respected Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

I watched the Bob Newhart series before MTM.  I have only seen a couple episodes of the Carol Burnett show but I know I would love that too.

Respected Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

I thought the best season was 3 or 4.  My favorite episode so far was when Chuckles the Clown died which, coincidentally, wasn't in either season 3 or 4 I don't think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJny78bpsgo

Oh, I loved that episode!  I laughed so hard I was crying.  What a great show.

Honored Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

That was a great line up.  My friends and I would not go out dancing until we watched those shows.  Ted Baxter was the best but everyone was great on MTM  Bob newhart show was great remember Mr Carlin hysterical  Carol Burnett great  Her show was super funny.

Honored Contributor

Agreed, so many episodes were stellar, @Mellie32 ,  it's hard to single one out...

Let's see, I loved the one where Mary had achieved the social coup of having a noted Congresswoman coming for dinner, and of course, quite a few things go wrong.  Sue Anne had prepared "Veal Prince Orlov" (ha) or something, and famished Lou inadvertently took 3 portions of it when it was offered to him.  So Mary had to hiss to him, sotto voce, "Mr. Grant, you must put some back, or three people won't get any dinner"!!

Ha, ha, just thinking of those episodes makes me smile.  Today's general run of crude, tacky, overly obvious situation comedies is a sad, sad come-down.... 

Respected Contributor

I always remember the very first episode.  Mary is interviewing wih Lou Grant and she is so perky.  He says "you got spunk kid" and she smiles thinking it is a great compliment and he comes back with "I hate spunk!".  Thanks goodness for MeTV I am enjoying watching all the old shows that I enjoyed so many years ago.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

Agreed, so many episodes were stellar, @Mellie32 ,  it's hard to single one out...

Let's see, I loved the one where Mary had achieved the social coup of having a noted Congresswoman coming for dinner, and of course, quite a few things go wrong.  Sue Anne had prepared "Veal Prince Orlov" (ha) or something, and famished Lou inadvertently took 3 portions of it when it was offered to him.  So Mary had to hiss to him, sotto voce, "Mr. Grant, you must put some back, or three people won't get any dinner"!!

Ha, ha, just thinking of those episodes makes me smile.  Today's general run of crude, tacky, overly obvious situation comedies is a sad, sad come-down.... 

@Oznell 

You are so right....situation comedies were well written and actually funny and clever rather than lewd, crude, and rude like they are now...And instead of characters that were likeable and relatable it's now characters that are unlikeable and cringeworthy.....Where have all the good writers gone???

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

I've been watching all of the episodes of this show from beginning to end this year.  I knew very little about it before I started watching.  I gotta say I came out of it changing my favorite comedic actress from Lucille Ball to Georgia Engel.  

Did you watch the show when it was first aired?  Thoughts?  Favorite episodes?  

@Mellie32   I watch it on Decades, and I was just saying to myself the other day, that Georgia was my favorite, wonderful in her role.  I also loved Betty White's character Sue Ann, fantastic.