Trusted Contributor

Re: The Many Saints of Newark - Soprano's Prequal

By the end I enjoyed it.  And I especially liked the end.  Agree with many comments here as to Soprano vs Multisani story. 

Could have been more with a limited series. 

Ray Liota can do no wrong in my mind.  I thought he was great.  Joey Perini!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack 

I use the fire stick, so your setup may vary.

Open HBOMAX and pull up TMSON page.  Just below is a listing of "extras".  First two are trailers, the third is "TMSON - First Look" (17 minutes).

Let me know if it doesn't show these.

Denise
Honored Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

@NickNack 

I use the fire stick, so your setup may vary.

Open HBOMAX and pull up TMSON page.  Just below is a listing of "extras".  First two are trailers, the third is "TMSOW - First Look" (17 minutes).

Let me know if it doesn't show these.

Thank you very much @denisemb .  I may watch it today.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Call me crazy, but I could never get into The Sopranos, I gave it a good try, but it never wowed me. 

@Shelbelle  Not everyone likes the same shows. I don't like sitcoms and have only watched a very few in all these years and yet, many people love them.

I have not watched a sitcom since Seinfeld left the airwaves !!!

Honored Contributor

Tried to watch the new movie and it was to violent and I was not able to follow the characters

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I'm not big on prequels. This movie was  just ok. The beginning dragged and I really didn't think they did a great job of making clear who everyone was. I don't mean Silvio, Paulie  etc. For instance, I read one of his friends was Artie Bucco but wasn't actually sure which one. I heard them mention Tony Blundetto but I wasn't sure if that's the guy Tony beat up. 

I liked the idea that they showed Livia's depression because the subject played out prominently in the series.

John Bernthal was terrific as Johnny and I wish he had a bigger part. Ray Liotta was so so. As he gets older, I notice I don't like him as much as I used to. 

As for Michael Gandolfini, I thought he was pretty good. He said in an interview, that he never watched The Sopranos. I think all actors, seasoned or not should familiarize themselves with the original character, even if it is their father, or that they plan to make  it their own. The guy who played Silvio got him right.

I think some of the younger cast  members over did the Jersey gangster accent.

Honored Contributor

The movie, I regret to say, disappointed me.  I loved The Sopranos.  No, not the violence but Tony's existential quest.  I'm a fan of works of art seeking the meaning of life.

This one was all over the place and difficult to follow.  I came away with nothing.  Plus, the sound was uneven and faulty.

What I do applaud is David Chase's guts to seek the glory one more time in his 70s.  Bravo!  I really wanted to like this movie.

Esteemed Contributor

@avid shopper wrote:

By the end I enjoyed it.  And I especially liked the end.  Agree with many comments here as to Soprano vs Multisani story. 

Could have been more with a limited series. 

Ray Liota can do no wrong in my mind.  I thought he was great.  Joey Perini!

@avid shopper    I really look forward to seeing the prequel!     I remember Joey Perni from Another World ,  he was so young ,   Probably his first role.   His sister was Angie .