Respected Contributor

The Many Saints of Newark - Soprano's Prequal

[ Edited ]

Being a "Sopranos" fan (recently rewatched) HAD to see this.

Well worth it for fans, hopefully the somewhat ambiguous ending will lead to another movie (or more).  I think Michael Gandolfini did a steller job.  And if (ike me) you think there's a slight resemblance to his father, just Google James Gandolfini early pictures - wow!

HBOMax has a 20 minute(ish) clip introducing al the characters which I found helpful before watching.  Here's the closest clip I could find on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJJRF-Ma9h0

Denise
Trusted Contributor

Re: The Many Saints of Newark - Soprano's Prequal

I've read this is about the Moltisanti clan.

Motisanti= Many saints in Italian.

Is it bloody or gruesome? I can't take that stuff in my old age.

Honored Contributor

In the TV show, wasn't Christopher's last name Multisanti?

Trusted Contributor

@Pearlee  Yes it was.

Trusted Contributor

Christopher was Carmella's cousin. Christopher's father, Dickie Motisanti, was a mentor to Tony. When Dickie died, Tony took Christopher under his wing.

I understand this movie explores the Dickie Moltisanti connection.

Valued Contributor

I was actually a little disappointed with this movie.  It really wasn't about the Soprano family.  It was 50% about the Multisanti family and 50% about the Newark riots and trying to take the numbers  rackets away from the Mafia.

.  I saw that they tried to incorporate some of the people from the original  Sopranos like Uncle Junior, Sil, and Pauly,  but they had very tiny roles. They even used the scene where Johnny takes Janice to the amusement park, and then gets arrested for gambling.  Other than a few very short  scenes you really don't see much of Johnny Soprano. 

I think both actors that played Tony did a great job,  but I would have like to see more of the Soprano side of the family.  I watched the original Soprano marathon on HBO all week so I guess I was expecting more of that.  (And Ray Liotta really needs to see a dermatologist for his skin.  It's disturbing on a big screen TV.)

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@daisy4 ....I, too, watched the Soprano marathon on HBO, loved that series!  I had forgotten how funny some of the dialog was (brilliant writing) made me laugh out loud especially that Paulie Walnuts character.

Agree with your comment on Ray Liotta, I have watched previous movies with him and have noticed how bad his skin is, like a really bad acne problem, he's got pretty eyes though.

Esteemed Contributor

I just watched it last night and I enjoyed it.  ITA the son did a great job portraying his fathers role.  

@JamandBread  I didn't find it that gruesome at all.   Soprano's was much worse IMO.

I also agree regarding Ray Liotta, he is not ageing well.

Respected Contributor

I watched The Sopranos marathons this past week on HBO. I had a couple gruesome nightmares this time Lol. I plan on watching the new movie.

Valued Contributor

I too am a Sopranos fan and enjoyed the prequel.  Having some background knowledge  of the series helped.  I thought the cast really nailed the mannerisms of the Sopranos and liked seeing them again.