Respected Contributor

I just finished it yesterday.  I kept watching it although it was very depressing.  About a young woman who leaves her husband with a toddler and nothing else and manages to push ahead with many setbacks.  Interesting note is the main character is the real daughter of the woman who plays her mom (andie mcdonald).

Honored Contributor

I watched the first 2 episodes and have skimmed the 3rd.  I don't know that I'm going to go any further with it.  It is very depressing and I don't know that I'm into depressing right now.  The first 2 episodes bothered me because I kept waiting for the main character to show some backbone.  

Oh, I forgot, thinking that I wouldn't finish it, I did watch most of the last episode.  It still didn't get me to start episode 4. 

I think it is nice that Margaret Qualley got to act with her mom Andie MacDowell.  How special is that. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Regular Contributor

Loved the mini-series.  After watching I have decided to donate and actively support our local shelters.

Trusted Contributor

Re: The Maid on netflix

[ Edited ]

@chiclet wrote:

I just finished it yesterday.  I kept watching it although it was very depressing.  About a young woman who leaves her husband with a toddler and nothing else and manages to push ahead with many setbacks.  Interesting note is the main character is the real daughter of the woman who plays her mom (andie mcdonald).

I watched the whole thing, it's called Maid, with Andie Macdowell and her daughter, Margaret Qualley, I enjoyed it. It's not exactly a Hallmark movie but I didnt find it terribly depressing, thought the acting was great.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Super Contributor

I thought it was very good. There are alot of people in that kind of situation and it doesn't get talked about. Some people make it out and some stay. I didn't realize that they are real life mom and daughter. Good acting. The guy that plays the father was the father in the Twilight series. I had to look him up because I knew he looked familiar, but I couldn't place where.

Valued Contributor

This series was unbelievably good.  I started watching the first episode not expecting much.  Wow.  I felt like I was along for the ride with Alex, and praying for her the whole way.  Margaret Qualley was outstanding in the role.  And the little baby, Maddy, really seemed to have a connection with Margaret.  The series was spot on in portraying the endless cycle of abuse many women go through and how difficult it is to break that cycle.  When she landed back in the DV shelter I was literally in tears for her, but God bless the wonderful people who run the facility and provide a landing pad and safe space for those who need it.  I'd love to see a season 2. 

Respected Contributor

i'm on episode 4 and i want to finish but it's dragging, for me. i'm sure it's very close to real life, for many women. The court system, etc. can be a nightmare.

Valued Contributor

Really enjoyed the series. I hope for another season

Honored Contributor

Re: Maid on Netflix

[ Edited ]

I'm in the middle of MAID now. 

I don't find it sad as much as eye-opening. It was a little hard to get into, but once I got engrossed, I found it to be well done.

I already knew that many women found it hard to leave abusive situations, but had no idea it could sometimes take so many tries. I really like the woman who is in charge of the DV shelter and how she understands how to be supportive without crossing lines.

I also found it charming, as much as it could be charming in that particular setting, that the words "legal, legal, legal" were used over and over in the courtroom scene. That is exactly what someone would hear. I've worked in the legal field, and areas that are not your specialty are sometimes as difficult for a legally-trained person as a layperson.

Maid Season 1: Netflix Release Date and Time? Synopsis!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

@Suzy Q from PA I said the exact same thing to my husband.   I'm going to put together a bag of items that may be of use as well as my almost weekly bag of donated clothes.