Respected Contributor

Re: The Loudest Voice

[ Edited ]

I love the show!  It's brilliant.  Crowe is brilliant.  Even Ailes was brilliant tho a monster.  I love Naomi Watts too - can't wait to see more of her.  I've never watched Fox News in my life.  Love how they include a lot of actual news footage though.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

Last night's episode covered the 2008 election. Ailes was a really sick twisted individual. He also wasn't exactly husband or father of the year.

His wife knew.  Things come back to me at odd times...

The mention of Maria Bartaromo in the very beginning of Episode 1.  I'm sure of what they were insinuating by saying her name and from what I've heard it's true.

And last night out of nowhere I remembered how he hired Sean Hannity.  And how Alan Colmes sweat a lot and he told them to leave his face alone on commercial breaks and only fix Hannity's makeup.

Jordan and (ETA) @granddi , what else do you think about it?  We seem to be the only ones watching?  (Although the ratings, which started out low, have show up like a rocket and Showtime is very pleased.)

@LoriLori I think Russell Crowe and Sienna Miller are wonderful in this, both are recognizable. I'm not a Fox News viewer so I'm not too familiar with some of the journalists. The one that Roger is having the affair with, what he is doing to her is unconscionable, surely no job is worth what she is going through. The way he spies on everyone, listening in on phone calls and treating everyone with disrespect. I do think this will garner quite a few Emmy nods next year.

I was sooo angry reading the nomination this week and no Russell Crowe!!!  Then I found they missed the May deadline and will be eligible next year.  Hope they don't forget this by then...

Denise
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2   @denisemb   @FranandZoe 

I see quite a few of my posts are gone.  Can't think why.

They talked about how it's based on Gabriel Sherman's book which for which he had multiple sources for everything and he has them all on tape. 

Denise, I think you're talking about Laurie Luhn? as "the one he was having an affair with"? -- he wasn't, he was having sex with her like almost every woman on the network.  It's that her job was finding him the prettiest ones.   She very publicly filed a $750 million dollar lawsuit against Showtime while the show was in preproduction...and when she learned Gabriel Sherman had all eleven hours of her interviews with him on tape she quietly dropped it.

I agree, he was a brilliant monster.  An advertising genius who sadly aplied the principles and practices of advertising to the news and nothing has been the same since.

There was more but I can't remember and that someone reported it is very telling, probably the one who made aggressive comments against this mini-series who was also poofed.

Honestly I dread each episode but it's brilliant.

And yes, I think everyone watching -- and the audience has increased with each new episode -- hopes that a year from now it is not forgotten by the Emmys.  Every second I watch I'm amazed that's Russell Crowe, I'll never get used to it.  I wasn't a big fan but I am now.  Wow.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last night (episode 4) was a seesaw for me.

The parts about the newspaper and Ailes's fight with the town of Kingston bored me and I'm not sure why they were included.

The whole thing about what they did to the President and Congress and that charity -- you know if you watched.  I can't discuss it but didn't know anything about it and like every other episode I was in tears.  And it made the other stuff pale in comparison...

...except the continuation of Laurie Luhn's and Gretchen Carlson's stories.  I don't know how to feel about these women around Ailes ( and there were so many, including the one he brought over from CNBC, Maria) who slept their way to the top with him and then some cried foul and Gretchen went public.   I usually have clear and strong opinions but I honestly don't know how to feel -- except depressed.

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori   I agree with your comments.  I am so amazed at all these ‘goings on’ while we all know it happens but when you see this show it ‘blows my mind’.  

Re Laurie Luhn I had to google her and at one point she was making $250,000 a year - you make your choices.

I was still living in U.K. for most of this so it is all ‘news’ to me.  Russell Crowe is such a good actor in this.  For me compulsive viewing.

Honored Contributor

So evidently not many are watching this show (also City On A Hill). I can't believe how long Ailes got away with his despicable behavior. I wonder if his wife knew the real Roger Ailes?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

So evidently not many are watching this show (also City On A Hill). I can't believe how long Ailes got away with his despicable behavior. I wonder if his wife knew the real Roger Ailes?

A LOT of them got away with a lot.  No doubt they still are.  Men in very high places whether in entertainment, government and sports.  There is so much more that will come out about so many more people, they drip out or explode regularly now.

Did you know the director of "Bohemian Rhapsody" is toast?  They wanted to remove his name from the credits after it came out but couldnt...But in all the award shows no one thanked him, no one mentioned his name.  Message received.

As for the wives, they know or they don't.  Many women, and I can name some very famous ones, had affairs with their husbands while they were married to other women.  A lot of them ended up getting dumped too. 

She may have known or not, she may have cared or not, or she may have done what some women do, Princess Diana and Jackie Kennedy come to mind, staying in the marriage and taking lovers for themselves.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dulwich wrote:

@LoriLori   I agree with your comments.  I am so amazed at all these ‘goings on’ while we all know it happens but when you see this show it ‘blows my mind’.  

Re Laurie Luhn I had to google her and at one point she was making $250,000 a year - you make your choices.

I was still living in U.K. for most of this so it is all ‘news’ to me.  Russell Crowe is such a good actor in this.  For me compulsive viewing.

@dulwich  I know I keep repeating this but I find it amazing that she had the nerve to file a $750 million dollar lawsuit against Showtime trying to save face but looked twice as bad when Gabriel Sherman produced eleven hours of her interviews he taped with her permission.

This week's episode, I feel like they're going easy on Gretchen Carlson.  But Naomi Watts is doing an amazing job capturing her faux naivity alongside the ruthless ambition.

And now we know the origin of NDAs in entertainment (and so in politics).  Which protected and still are sooooo many of these people.  Gave them cover and stiill do.  The term "evil genius" gets thrown around often but Roger Alies was the epitome.

I still wish they didn't include the parts with the young newspaper editor even though what he did to him this episode totally blew my mind (I almost thought I'd get through an episode without mind blown by nope, that did it).  

Was surprised they brought Gabriel Sherman into it.  That actor looks so much like him. 

And Seth MacFarlane was electric in those scenes.  That man is so talented and in more ways than anyone I can think of.  No wonder he's one of the richest men in Hollywood.  Even my mother likes him because he cast Frank Sinatra Jr. on Family Guy LOL and records and performs a lot of Sinatra, who he idolizes.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

I just added this to my other post but you've already read it.  The ratings have been great.  Showtime is very pleased.  Here's what happened and it made headlines and stuck in people's mind:  Live ratings for the first episode were very low. Abysmal, which is why it was so widely reported.

As the week went on they tripled (or quadrupled?) as people watched on DVR, On Demand, on line and that doesn't even count phones. And the ratings have gotten better with each episode.

That doesn't even count people who save miniseries like this up to binge watch. I know some people who will do that with Loudest Voice. A lot of people did it with the full 18 hours of Twin Peaks The Return and two years later Showtime still re-runs it a few episodes at a time....Showtime is very pleased with The Loudest Voice.

Respected Contributor

I'm a current events junkie.

I did not know Roger A was involved in selecting T for Presidential candidate.