Honored Contributor

The Long Song and Home Fires on PBS

I know these two shows are not new, however I just discovered them.  I am really enjoying them.  Its amazing how many good shows are on PBS and the diversity in many of the shows, and the great acting in all of them.

Honored Contributor

Re: The Long Song and Home Fires on PBS

Here's just a bit of trivia, Ruth Gemmell who plays Sarah Collingbourne on Home Fires, also plays Violet Bridgerton the mother in Bridgerton. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Here's just a bit of trivia, Ruth Gemmell who plays Sarah Collingbourne on Home Fires, also plays Violet Bridgerton the mother in Bridgerton. 

I have heard  many people sing the praises of Bridgerton.  I intend to start watchingSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I loved Home Fires. It seemed to end up in the air as I recall. Is it being renewed do you know?
Honored Contributor

I haven't seen Home Fires but will vouch for The Long Song - it's very good.

Respected Contributor

I loved Homefires but was so disappointed that they decided not to renew it and it ended with a cliffhanger...............😩😩😩

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

It seems that for the most part PBS is one long series of repeated shows with very few new offerings and many of the new shows have fallen flat. I wish one of my local PBS stations would repeat Home Fires, which I've not seen. I'd be glad to see them deep-six some of the series they seem to have been stuck on now for far too long. I tried an episode or two of The Long Song, but it didn't grab my interest. Although so many of the British PBS offerings seem focused on World War 2, Home Fires at least sounds sort of interesting.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@stevieb Gave up on Long Song - in fact I think I am about done with Masterpiece/pbs series.  I agree all repeats being shown.  Glad I have Acorn and Britbox to turn to.  Let's hope better things to come.

Respected Contributor

I really liked  Home Fires too. So disappointed that they canceled it and left so many loose ends. 

Honored Contributor

@dulwich  In my area one of our PBS stations is all 'UK' and it has offered some great programming. Though almost all of the shows offered are, shall we say, 'vintage', the mix had been reasonably good. Unfortunately, not so for the past number of months, during which the mix of shows offered has, overall, not been much to my liking... They've been having one of their too frequent pledge drives recently and unlike last year, I opted not to donate... I wondered to myself what they do with the money since they seem to have utterly failed to add any newer seasons of better shows, continuing to rotate programs in and out but showing the same episodes over and over, when newer episodes are available... Lately, they've taken to devoting one evening each week to 'watch what the Brits are watching', which are all European dramas broadcast with subtitles... Some of them might be quite good but I can't imagine they've found a huge audience for these shows... and I somehow doubt these shows precisely took the UK by storm... I can only imagine the rights to broadcast them weren't costly...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...