Honored Contributor

Re: The Long Song and Home Fires on PBS

@dulwich   What turned you off The Long Song?  A couple days ago you recommended it.  I watched the third and final episode last night.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We're loving the new "All Creatures Great and Small".  Finale is next Sunday, unfortunately, and it tends to be a while before the next season.

"Home Fires" was great, but so disappointing when they didn't renew it.  My favorite is "Grantchester".  I understand they're currently filming the new season.

Also love "Shakespeare & Hathaway", "Last Tango" and "Hold the Sunset". Too many to mention!

I'm an Evergreen member (monthly contributor).  I believe in supporting public tv and am happy to wait for new series.  I've been able to watch so many things I wouldn't have otherwise.  They get no federal funds, so they have no choice to fundraise.  I'm sure many just watch without ever contributing to them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is coming April 4th-sounds good.

PBS’ ‘Atlantic Crossing’ Tells a World War II Story from a Woman’s Perspective

Kyle MacLachlan plays Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Sofia Helin stars as Crown Princess Maartha of Norway who steals his heart??

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I loved Home Fires so much that I read the next two books in the series just so I would know what happened.  One I had to buy on Amazon, and the other was available in my library.

The Long Song?  Meh.  I did watch all three episodes, but it was just okay at best.

I'm enjoying All Creatures.  It's not the best Masterpiece I've ever seen, but it's not the worst.

As someone else mentioned, I love Grantchester.  Will be glad for that to come back on again!  

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed Home Fires and am disappointed it isn't going to return.  The Long Song was very good and very well done, it told a tragic story but ended happily.  All Creatures Great and Small is wonderful as was the original.

I have been watching Masterpiece Theater since the seventies as I have mentioned in these forums.  There have been such excellent series for decades.  Even the series which weren't in the excellent category were always so good because of the acting, settings, I have rarely been disappointed.  I always look forward to seeing new offerings in both Masterpiece Theater and Mystery/  After all these years, it is still in my opinion, excellent TV.

Respected Contributor

I really enjoyed The Long Song, missed Home Fires.  I love Masterpiece Theater and PBS.  My hat is off to the British, I always thought they had better actors, better stories, just better.  

Trusted Contributor

@Ainhisg - The third book in the Home Fires series is coming out on March 15th.  It's called "A Woman's Courage" and the author is S. Block.  I loved the tv series too!

Trusted Contributor

I loved "Home Fires" and was so disappointed that the TV series left so many loose ends.

I soooo want to know if Pat got away from her absolutely horrid husband...

Honored Contributor

@DottieBlue wrote:

I loved "Home Fires" and was so disappointed that the TV series left so many loose ends.

I soooo want to know if Pat got away from her absolutely horrid husband...

@DottieBlue  That's what I really wanted to know and was so disappointed we didn't find out.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dawg lover thank you!  I just put in a request for my library to buy it, which they almost always approve my requests!

@proudlyfromNJ @DottieBlue here are the next two books in the series along with the third book coming out this year as dawg lover posted.  I highly recommend them!

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 7.39.28 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-18 at 7.27.56 AM.png