Valued Contributor

The Little Mermaid, Live-Action

19 year old actor/singer Halle Bailey has been cast as Ariel in the upcoming live-action film version of The Little Mermaid. Jacob Tremblay has also been cast as Flounder, along with Awkwafina as Scuttle. Melissa McCarthy is in talks to play Ursula. I’ve not been crazy about these Disney live-action remakes, but I’m giving this one a chance. I think It has potential to be visually beautiful with all the underwater scenes. It would look amazing in 3D!

05F015B1-82C9-4964-9526-85A73041E662.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

Re: The Little Mermaid, Live-Action

Twitter is going crazy abt it, they don't think it should be a POC, evidently some ppl don't understand that it's a cartoon and mermaids don't exist. Smiley Surprised

Spoiler

Valued Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

Twitter is going crazy abt it, they don't think it should be a POC, evidently some ppl don't understand that it's a cartoon and mermaids don't exist. Smiley Surprised

Spoiler

@wishmoon  That’s funny. If you’re casting human actors to play other species, especially fictional ones, the race of the actors shouldn’t matter. Next they’ll be attacking Melissa McCartny for not being lavender and not having tentacles. 

Trusted Contributor

What's sad is that ppl are serious about this! Unreal that they are so excited about it! They're still arguing about this...

Ppl with nothing to do and too much time to do it in! 

Respected Contributor

When I first read about this, I misread it to be Halle Berry! My first thought was not of color but 'Isn't she a bit old to play Ariel?" Happily I realized my mistake after rereading the article LOL!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Love the Little Mermaid. Saw it on Broadway some years back with

my daughter. This sounds cool.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

It is being reported that pop star, Harry Styles is in talks to play the role of Prince Eric. I could never understand his appeal, but I’m not a teenager girl, so who knows?

AB5241FA-5836-4EEF-9D00-62D0DCB76B8F.jpeg