Honored Contributor

DD and I went to the late night showing of this last night.

This is her favorite Disney movie. We watched it on DVD so many times I can quote the movie. I saw the first live remake with John Stamos as Chef Louis on TV during quarantine. 

So I went into last night thinking, "OK - we'll see." To me there is nothing like the original animated version.

I knew a little about the cast going in, but I wasn't familiar with everyone in it. It was a very multicultural cast.

It was adorable! Parts of it are the same as the original, and parts are completely different. The two leads, Halle and Jonah, were cute together, and in my opinion had chemistry. 

I won't go into what is different - too many spoilers. You will find out. I will say it is written for "today," and they were very conscious about how young children today would see things - things that we didn't worry about our 90's children seeing! 

Melissa McCarthy was too pretty to play Ursula. Lizzo auditioned but didn't get the part. I kept thinking I was watching "Molly" (from Mike and Molly) at a Halloween party! LOL! But she did a good job.

There were some parts of the original, including some songs, that I missed. And there were a few new songs, courtesy of Lin-Manuel Miranda.

I don't think this is a spoiler, so I will just post it: Look for a cameo by Jodi Benson, the original Ariel, in the market scene, when she talks to this Ariel. 

I definitely recommend seeing it! The special effects and the costumes are incredible. I was glad to see "in memory of Howard Ashman" during the credits. He and Alan Menken did the original. In this one Alan wrote the music for the new songs and Lin-Manuel wrote the lyrics. 

The singing is amazing!   Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Little Mermaid - 2023

I was not going to see this movie anyway, but after hearing this, I am REALLY not going to see it.  Is this true, that there was a slight to Kate Middleton, when the guy was trying to guess her name?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

My local newspaper gave it a so-so review......noting, "don't believe the hype. "  Gave the movie 2 1/2 stars out of 5.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I don't pay any attention to reviewers. My great niece wanted to see it and we were both charmed .

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Frequent Contributor

Not interested. This is one movie that didn’t need to be remade. Loved the original and always will.
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I was not going to see this movie anyway, but after hearing this, I am REALLY not going to see it.  Is this true, that there was a slight to Kate Middleton, when the guy was trying to guess her name?

@Puppy Lips - I think so. Here's why:

Disney is known for doing things like this in their movies. And they don't do anything accidentally.

In the original,  Prince Eric guesses Mildred, Diana, and Rachel, before Sebastian whispers "Ariel" in his ear.

In this version he guesses Diana and Catherine. After he says "Catherine" Ariel gives a disgusted look, and he says, "OK, definitely not Catherine." 

Apparently in her interview with Oprah in 2021 (I didn't see this) Meghan Markle compared herself to Ariel, saying how she fell in love with a prince, lost her voice, but in the end got her voice back.

Meghan and Harry's trusted assistant and spokesman Omid Scobie is close friends with Zach Johnson, a senior figure at the Disney company.

Meghan is working with Disney.

So putting two and two together. . . 

Director Rob Marshall has of course denied this.

People are already upset this seems to be upsetting to parents and their daughters named "Catherine."

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom  Thanks for the review. I can't wait to see it. I've been made aware of the "differences" with all the hype it's being given but the singing and stars have pulled me in. So glad y'all enjoyed it. Have a great holiday week end.

Honored Contributor

@Spacrazy wrote:

@beach-mom  Thanks for the review. I can't wait to see it. I've been made aware of the "differences" with all the hype it's being given but the singing and stars have pulled me in. So glad y'all enjoyed it. Have a great holiday week end.

YW @Spacrazy ! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did! I still like the original better, but this one is good.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom Thank you for the in person review.

It sounds like I would like to see it & I wasn't sure before.

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Puppy Lips - I think so. Here's why:

Disney is known for doing things like this in their movies. And they don't do anything accidentally.

In the original,  Prince Eric guesses Mildred, Diana, and Rachel, before Sebastian whispers "Ariel" in his ear.

In this version he guesses Diana and Catherine. After he says "Catherine" Ariel gives a disgusted look, and he says, "OK, definitely not Catherine." 

Apparently in her interview with Oprah in 2021 (I didn't see this) Meghan Markle compared herself to Ariel, saying how she fell in love with a prince, lost her voice, but in the end got her voice back.

Meghan and Harry's trusted assistant and spokesman Omid Scobie is close friends with Zach Johnson, a senior figure at the Disney company.

Meghan is working with Disney.

So putting two and two together. . . 

Director Rob Marshall has of course denied this.

People are already upset this seems to be upsetting to parents and their daughters named "Catherine."

@beach-mom I had heard that this was in the movie but thought maybe they would think again and change it before the big release.  Guess not.  My son and DIL both work for Disney and are doing very well there.  But I have to say that it is cr@p like this that sours me on the Disney company.  I am sure MM is pleased that this is in the movie, but I hope the moms of all the Catherines and Katherines speak up!

I am glad you enjoyed the movie.  There seems to be so few good ones out there these days.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead