Respected Contributor

The Leftovers - Book Background - Could be Spoilery

Okay, I read the book and I do not know if the show is going to stick to the book in regards to the people in white or not, but here is what the book explanation is.

1. They call themselves The Guilty Remnant

2. They believe the event was the Rapture

3. They demonstrate their belief by smoking, because, apparently, the end comes 7 years after the Rapture and they smoke because they won't have time to contract cancer. So, smoking demonstrates their faith that it was the Rapture. I know! Weird.

4. They deprive themselves of basic comforts - only eat twice a day (in the main houses). A bowl of oatmeal for breakfast and a bowl of soup in the evening.

5. They don't talk and have divested themselves of all earthly possessions. They give everything to the cult. This is to release any and all attachments to physical reality while they await the 2nd coming and the end.

6. In the book, they welcome the chance to become martyred and it turns out that they are the ones behind that.

I have no idea how closely the show is going to follow this, but I think it would be very hard to understand what they are doing without some background that the show will not provide.

Super Contributor

Re: The Leftovers - Book Background - Could be Spoilery

On 7/17/2014 cosmic1 said:

Okay, I read the book and I do not know if the show is going to stick to the book in regards to the people in white or not, but here is what the book explanation is.

1. They call themselves The Guilty Remnant

2. They believe the event was the Rapture

3. They demonstrate their belief by smoking, because, apparently, the end comes 7 years after the Rapture and they smoke because they won't have time to contract cancer. So, smoking demonstrates their faith that it was the Rapture. I know! Weird.

Thank you SO MUCH for explaining this!

The smoking thing actually makes sense. I remember a friend who is a smoker -- we'd say smoking takes 10 years off your life, and he'd respond, sure, but it's the last 10, and he was only going to miss out on the rocking and drooling. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

I don't know why they haven't explained this in the show yet. There is a chance they will change it, but they didn't change the hugging guy. It just makes more sense to watch with an understanding. If there is anything else, I will explain the book perspective and then we can see if they change it. Lol.
Super Contributor

On 7/17/2014 cosmic1 said: I don't know why they haven't explained this in the show yet.

They can't be seen as hinting that smoking might be enjoyable. If you believed you wouldn't die from it, anyway.

But it's odd that they indulge in cigarettes but deprive themselves of good food. And a glass of wine. Etc.

Respected Contributor

Quote:

"But it's odd that they indulge in cigarettes but deprive themselves of good food. And a glass of wine. Etc"

Actually, in the book, Laurie feels guilty for enjoying the cigarettes, since she is an ex-smoker. Most of the folks seem to be non-smokers and really have a distaste for it. So, from the book's perspective, smoking is not an indulgence either.

When Meg is going through her initiation, every week she has to give one of her personal belongings to Laurie (who is her mentor in the book). The last item she gives up is a dress that belonged to her mother, who was part of the departure.

Jill gives Laurie a lighter for Christmas with the words, Don't Forget Us on it and Laurie uses it once and then throws it down a storm drain, even though she wants to keep it.

Honored Contributor

Thanks Cosmic for the info!

Super Contributor

On 7/18/2014 cosmic1 said:

Actually, in the book, Laurie feels guilty for enjoying the cigarettes, since she is an ex-smoker. Most of the folks seem to be non-smokers and really have a distaste for it. So, from the book's perspective, smoking is not an indulgence either.

Well, I'm a little confused that smoking = self-flagellation, when they do it because they think the Second Coming will occur before they get cancer.

Smoking is complicated. Many do it to be cool, many do it to feel strong (woman holding fire!), some actually enjoy it. It's difficult to quit for more reasons than simple nicotine addiction.

Respected Contributor

I could certainly be missing the whole point about the smoking as an indulgence. I just remember the passage where Meg is struggling with being required to smoke and Laurie's private thoughts on it. The author doesn't address the whole cult's thoughts on it and I probably just extrapolated the whole passage. I can relate to Laurie's thinking, being an ex-smoker. Lol. Also, they only smoke the cheapest brand, which she doesn't particularly like. Really, the only comprehensive thing the book says about the smoking is that they are demonstrating their faith by doing it and they are required to smoke at all times during their waking hours. Lol, now you have me thinking. I think smoking was picked because it is more harmful than, drinking wine, while still being legal, unlike taking drugs. This is speculation from me though.
Super Contributor

On 7/19/2014 cosmic1 said: I could certainly be missing the whole point about the smoking as an indulgence. I just remember the passage where Meg is struggling with being required to smoke and Laurie's private thoughts on it. The author doesn't address the whole cult's thoughts on it and I probably just extrapolated the whole passage. I can relate to Laurie's thinking, being an ex-smoker. Lol. Also, they only smoke the cheapest brand, which she doesn't particularly like. Really, the only comprehensive thing the book says about the smoking is that they are demonstrating their faith by doing it and they are required to smoke at all times during their waking hours. Lol, now you have me thinking. I think smoking was picked because it is more harmful than, drinking wine, while still being legal, unlike taking drugs. This is speculation from me though.

My speculation is that the author has issues with the Catholic church. The GR wear white and live apart, sort of like nuns and friars. Smoking is his way of poking a stick at rituals.

Respected Contributor

That is a great observation, ennui. I didn't think of that, but now that you said it, I can see it. I don't think I they are allowed to have intimate relations either. It is a very austere lifestyle.