Respected Contributor

Re: The Leftovers - Book Background - Could be Spoilery

Lol. What a prudish website that s-e-x. Is not allowed.
Super Contributor

On 7/19/2014 cosmic1 said: Lol. What a prudish website that s-e-x. Is not allowed.

The list is endless. We can't say h e l l or skrew, either. We can't even talk about [Richard] Van Dyke. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Honored Contributor

Cosmic, what's the deal with Tommy ............ I have no clue what is going on here!

Respected Contributor

Hooty, in the book, Tommy (the mayor's son - in the show, the sheriff's son) is following Hugging Wayne. Hugging Wayne has some kind of ability to relieve you of your emotional pain and take it to himself by hugging you. Wayne started off as a good guy, but then became a victim of his own publicity and started to acquire 'wives.' Teenage wives. While still married to his first wife. His first wife is unable to bear any more children and they did lose his son in the departure.

So, Wayne has dreams {#emotions_dlg.unsure} and in one of them, God tells him that his (Wayne's) son will be the savior of the world. Whichever one of his teenage wives gets pregnant first is the one. So, Tommy (who has a massive crush on Christine) is charged with protecting her, since Wayne finally gets arrested for having s*e*x with underage girls. The feds, in addition to arresting Wayne, are also collecting the girls - presumably to get them to testify against Wayne and to get them back to their families. Tommy takes off with Christine and they are traveling incognito across the country where Tommy is supposed to deliver Christine to a family that will take care of her and her baby for Wayne.

So, Tommy is charged with making sure that Christine (and baby) are safe for Wayne.

I have not watched the last episode yet, so I don't know if the show sticks with the book or not.

Honored Contributor

Well, I watched last night, and this part was very confusing to me! He is taking care of Christine and she is pregnant, and they are on the run, but get in a bus crash somewhere! He keeps waiting for Wayne to call, on the special cell phone, but the only call he got was a message from the "people in white", which cause the bus crash because they are all lying in the middle of the road somewhere and look like they are all dead!

Honored Contributor

Oops double post!

Respected Contributor

Lol, Hooty. There was no bus crash in the book and the Guilty Remnant was not doing anything with Tommy or Christine. I guess we will have to see what they do with this.
Honored Contributor

On 7/21/2014 cosmic1 said: Lol, Hooty. There was no bus crash in the book and the Guilty Remnant was not doing anything with Tommy or Christine. I guess we will have to see what they do with this.

I told you it was totally crazy!{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Respected Contributor

I found a question that the author answers about the smoking. The question is about the being forced to smoke, was he trying to build in an element of social critique. He said that he was thinking if you really do dispense with the idea that you have an indefinite future, and that the future is inherently limited, then what should happen? This idea of smoking became interesting to me; it becomes a declaration of faith, that we're not going to live long enough to get sick from it. It became a a kind of ambiguous social critique in that smoking is a very complicated act in our culture, the meaning of which has changed dramatically over recent decades.
Respected Contributor

Hooty, hmm that is all kinds of crazy. The guy that attacked Christine in the shelter said he had a dream where she was walking on the dead and they were all in white. These folks were all dead in the middle of the road. Yuck. Then Christine says, hey Tom, they're all in white just like the dream.