Respected Contributor

The Last Waltz directed by Scorcese

By chance I started watching The Last Waltz this evening. It's a 1978 movie featuring some great musicians from the era. They include: Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Muddy Waters, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, The Band, and more. It was directed by Martin Scorcese and is a documentary.

Honored Contributor

Re: The Last Waltz directed by Scorcese

I have seen the Last Waltz many times and never get tired of it.  The music is in my opinion, some of the best of its time and continues to be.  I love all of the Band's songs, Muddy Waters, Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell, Clapton, Dylan, Neil Young, Staple Singers, and others make this a concert to remember.  Love it!  Of course Scorcese interacting with the Band members gave insight to a group of the time.  Over all I think this show is fantastic entertainment and I relate to all the music and sing along every time I watch the Last Waltz, it is presently waiting for me on my DVR!!!!!!

My sister lived near Woodstock and used to see some of the Band members in town as well as Dylan, Van Morrison and other singers who passed through.   The songs of the Band and this documentary bring back happy memories for my sister and me.

Respected Contributor

I watched it again tonight and ejoyed it as much as ever. I saw it when it first aired. I still have the band albums that I listened to back then. It's funny how seeing the Last Waltz brings back memories of being young and the people who were around you then. The era of singer song writers so defined the time.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

Love The Band. I have The DVD. We have the big tv with surround sound in the basement and watch it there with the volume turned up!

Trusted Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

By chance I started watching The Last Waltz this evening. It's a 1978 movie featuring some great musicians from the era. They include: Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Muddy Waters, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, The Band, and more. It was directed by Martin Scorcese and is a documentary.

IMO-best concert movie ever!!

Trusted Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

I have seen the Last Waltz many times and never get tired of it.  The music is in my opinion, some of the best of its time and continues to be.  I love all of the Band's songs, Muddy Waters, Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell, Clapton, Dylan, Neil Young, Staple Singers, and others make this a concert to remember.  Love it!  Of course Scorcese interacting with the Band members gave insight to a group of the time.  Over all I think this show is fantastic entertainment and I relate to all the music and sing along every time I watch the Last Waltz, it is presently waiting for me on my DVR!!!!!!

My sister lived near Woodstock and used to see some of the Band members in town as well as Dylan, Van Morrison and other singers who passed through.   The songs of the Band and this documentary bring back happy memories for my sister and me.

I would say "The Weight" from this movie(with the Staples) is the finest piece of music that I know!

Honored Contributor

Buyornot7

I agree about the Weight being among the great songs and the Staple singers a legend among groups.