Trusted Contributor

Went to see The Irishman the other night and was wondering if anyone has seen it and if so, what your opinion is of the movie.  First, it's long - three and a half hours - but it doesn't drag.  DeNiro, Pacino and Pesci are outstanding in their roles and I would think one or all will be nominated for an Oscar.  To me, it doesn't rank up there with The Godfather or A Bronx Tale, but it's very well done.  I'm from NY and my parents were strong union members, so I recall the days of Teamsters meetings and Jimmy Hoffa.  The movie has had only a limited engagement and will be on Netflix at the end of the month.  However, it needs to be seen on a big screen for the the full effect.  

Respected Contributor

I plan to watch it when it gets to Netflix. It may earn some Academy Awards but the Academy is not pleased with the way it was released or original streaming movies in general.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I'm planning on watching it when it hits Netflix.  I can't wait.

Trusted Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

I plan to watch it when it gets to Netflix. It may earn some Academy Awards but the Academy is not pleased with the way it was released or original streaming movies in general.

Yes, lots of controversy.

Honored Contributor

I plan to see this movie as I am sure it will be a great one as all of Scorsese's movies are.  My favorite is Goodfellas and the sound track is excellent.  

I am a union person as is my sister.  I am also a fan of the actors who star in this movie, they always come through with fine performances which are Oscar worthy.  Just seeing DeNiro, Pesci and Pacino acting is worth while.

Thanks for the post and I do look forward to seeing this movie.

Respected Contributor

Waiting for Netflix too - can't do 3.5 hours in the theater.

Honored Contributor
Looking forward to this!
“Traditional” Hollywood is going to be left in the dust if it doesn’t get past its own arrogance pretty quickly. Streaming is not going away. It’s a pretty pathetic commentary that they couldn’t come to an agreement for it to show in more theaters because it’s gotten really good reviews.
Trusted Contributor

One of my favorite directors and my 3 favorite guys!  What's not to love?  Will pass on sitting in a movie theater for that length of time, but won't miss it when it gets to streaming video!

Super Contributor

Streaming is for the technically inclined not me .....I'm not happy going to the movies anymore too many violent trailers before The Liar which was good not great have turned me off to going to the cinema ...

Honored Contributor
@Zey4x If that's the problem then why not just stay in the lobby until the film is about to begin? Easy solution.