Respected Contributor

Just now got HULU and watching The Handmaid's Tale.  Whoa, it is difficult to watch at times.  My question is for those who have seen it:  does it get any better?  By that I mean, is there ever any joy for anyone?  

I'm on Season 1, episode 10 and it's starting to drag me down, but the storyline is so compelling.  Can't stop watching!  

No spoilers, please. TIA

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

Must every story have a happy ending? Does this series resemble things that could happen in the near future? Art imitating life?

Respected Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

Must every story have a happy ending? Does this series resemble things that could happen in the near future? Art imitating life?

Much worse is happening to women in some countries.  

Trusted Contributor

I have watched both seasons and it will not be joyful.  It is hard to watch but the acting is excellent and it's worth the ride,  maybe this new season will have more "joy."

Esteemed Contributor

Season 3 starts this week, from what I have read it is a little "lighter" than the previous 3 seasons.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

[ Edited ]

@chessylady 

Not a 'must'.  A light moment every once in a while would be welcome. 

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

@pommom wrote:

Just now got HULU and watching The Handmaid's Tale.  Whoa, it is difficult to watch at times.  My question is for those who have seen it:  does it get any better?  By that I mean, is there ever any joy for anyone?  

I'm on Season 1, episode 10 and it's starting to drag me down, but the storyline is so compelling.  Can't stop watching!  

No spoilers, please. TIA

I understand what you mean.  Enough real life news to drag people down.  I do prefer lighter shows.  I grew up with Dennis the Menace etc... I still watch old shows when I can/  Saw Bewitched this morning with Doctor Bombay  always fun to watchSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

@chessylady   Are you asking these questions in a serious manner?  You do know Atwood's book was published in 1985.

If it hadn't been for this latest series with Elizabeth Moss I seriously doubt anybody would have given any thought to this actually being a glimpse into the future.  In fact, the original book would have long been put on the back shelf.

Atwood is publishing a sequel scheduled for September 2019.  She also said her original was not meant as a forecast for the future.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

@chessylady   Are you asking these questions in a serious manner?  You do know Atwood's book was published in 1985.

If it hadn't been for this latest series with Elizabeth Moss I seriously doubt anybody would have given any thought to this actually being a glimpse into the future.  In fact, the original book would have long been put on the back shelf.

Atwood is publishing a sequel scheduled for September 2019.  She also said her original was not meant as a forecast for the future.

In your opinion.  In my opinion, this book was indeed a harbinger of things to come and absolutely not put on the back shelf.   To quote Ms. Atwood

'I still don’t think people believe they are going to have a religious puritanical regime, but the civil war is going on right now'.
Respected Contributor

George Orwell's 1984 also rings true now more than ever. Fear and anger in the world lead to authoritarian governments.