Valued Contributor

Re: 'The Handmaid's Tale' on Hulu, Starting April 26

You can't access Hulu through Netflix. They are streaming services that work independently. Each service has different progamming. If you want Netflix or Hulu you have to download the app into your tv if you have a device such as Roku, Amazon Fire tv or stick, Apple tv etc. You can also download it to your PC, tablet or mobile device. The newer smart tv's may come with the app already built it. Just wanted to clarify any confusion for those interested. I hope I didn't make it more confusing. Smiley Sad 

Honored Contributor

Thank you for sharing this info.  We have Apple.  I am sure we will find a way -- even if we must subscribe.  Sometimes you have to pay for your art.  Darn!

Esteemed Contributor

I had no clue about the book or the original movie. I am looking forward to this starting soon - thanks for the reminder.

Honored Contributor

FYI: they changed key components of the book ( which, in my opinion, were absolutely wrong to do) for the Hulu series. I HIGHLY suggest you read the book in order to get the full impact and to understand the important points the author was attempting to highlight and make known.

Esteemed Contributor

I read about The Handmaid's Tale and plan to watch.  I'll add the book to my reading list.

Wonder why Hulu isn't doing much to promote it within the app or through email updates?  With my app and emails, Hulu mostly promotes The Goldbergs and Harlots--two that I have yet to watch despite being bombarded with promotions.

Valued Contributor

I just started reading it this weekend. Very interesting and disturbing.

Honored Contributor

@BeckiWV wrote:

I found the book so disturbing....

@BeckiWV - It is definitely not light reading. Did you like the ending? 

Spoiler
I wish it had ended a little differently. I think the author could have wrapped it up more, but maybe that wasn't her intent. 
Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@BeckiWV wrote:

I found the book so disturbing....

@BeckiWV - It is definitely not light reading. Did you like the ending? 

Spoiler
I wish it had ended a little differently. I think the author could have wrapped it up more, but maybe that wasn't her intent. 

@beach-mom I don't know if I disliked or liked the ending as much I was glad it was over if that makes sense.  It was one of those books I kind of wish I hadn't read.  It definitely bothered me for awhile.  

Esteemed Contributor

There is the HANDMAIDIAN on Prime.  Is that the same one?  This is all Asian actors.

Esteemed Contributor

This series is being carried in Canada on the Bravo channel and they have aired 2 episodes. I DVR'd them but I don't know if I have the stomach to watch them as it seems very depressing and upsetting.. I have read the episode recaps with spoilers on Vulture.com.

I also read a study guide lesson planner online used to teach students about the book The Handmaid's Tale.

I have seen the movie version that starred Natasha Richardson so I'm familiar with the storyline.